chapter seventeen

"JULIA, WAIT!" ISAAC called out as he followed me

        "JULIA, WAIT!" ISAAC called out as he followed me. I had stormed away from the bench where Scott still remained, staring after us. I planned on ignoring Isaac, until his hand wrapped around my wrist and forced me to turn to face him. I glared up at him as I yanked my hand out of his, all my weight on my good foot.

"What, Isaac?!" I barked out, no longer cold in the crisp air. My anger warmed me up.

"I stayed for you," he said, exasperated, "I didn't leave with Erica and Boyd."

"Congrats, Isaac!" I snapped, "You did what any fucking decent brother would do! You didn't run away and stayed because everybody here fucking loves you and would be devastated to see you go!"

I paused for a moment, my chest heaving. Isaac seemed unsure of what to say, so I continued.

"What do you want me to say? Did you expect me to thank you?! I don't expect a thank you from you for sticking around because I'm not even fucking thinking about running away! I love you, Isaac, I really do. I would do anything for you in a heartbeat, yet you couldn't even bother to tell me that you wanted to run away," my voice broke slightly at the end and I only now realized that I was crying softly, tears rolling down my cheeks and warming my tinted skin.

"I'm sorry," he said softly, looking down at my hands as they shook slightly, "I love you too, Julia, I don't think I ever could've gone through with it. I need you too much."

I sniffed and nodded, wiping my hand under my eyes as I avoided looking at him, "Well, right now we all need you. Get out there, kick some ass and help Scott with Jackson. We can talk more later."

"Okay," he said with a slight nod, turning around to head back to Scott. I sighed and wiped my face again, calling out his name. He turned around with the face of a kicked puppy.

"Be safe. I mean it," I said sternly. He nodded, the corner of his lips twitching upwards.

"You too."

I watched him walk over to Scott before I turned and walked up the bleachers, struggling slightly with my crutch. I eventually sat myself down beside Stillinski, who sent me a smile and scooted over slightly to make room.

"How are you feeling, Julia?" He asked, his eyes noticeably looking at my leg and crutch. I forced a smile.

"I'm doing better," I said vaguely, though it seemed to be enough for the man as we both watched the field. I couldn't help but smile softly as I watched Isaac tackle one of their own players, forcing him to be out of the game and replaced with one of the boys waiting on the sidelines.

I easily realized he was getting rid of the boys waiting so Coach would be forced to let Scott play. Sheriff briefly asked me what Isaac was doing, to which I played dumb with a shrug of my shoulder. I suddenly shot up in my seat when Isaac collapsed, Jackson lurking nearby. I hadn't seen what happened, but there was definitely more than thirty seconds on the clock.