chapter fifteen

DEREK HAD BEEN hovering all morning

I managed to sleep through the rest of yesterday and woke up the next morning to my alarm. I had groaned, knowing it was the day school started again. I was surprised to see that Derek was already in my room, sitting on the floor as he folded a load of laundry.

I pretended like it wasn't strange and got dressed in the bathroom. Then Derek followed me downstairs and into the kitchen where I started making breakfast. Scrambled eggs with bacon bits. Isaac's favorite. However, when I went for the knife to start cutting up the bacon, Derek quickly offered to do it for me.

He took over the simple meal from there and gave me a plate of burnt eggs with a spoon. I just thanked him and spooned my eggs into my mouth.

The really strange part was when I called for Isaac and got no response. Derek said he had no idea where Isaac was. It worried me, but I wasn't sure if he had early morning lacrosse practice. I simply sent him a text about his whereabouts and left it at that.

Derek rushed to grab my crutch and handed it to me with a pointed look. I rolled my eyes and took it.

We both headed to Derek's car and the second my ass hit the seat, Derek was handing me the buckle. I hesitated before thanking him and buckling up, proceeding to sit back in my seat.

I was finally left alone as I walked to my locker, adjusting my bag and crutch. It wasn't difficult to open my locker and exchange what I needed. A plain white envelope fell out, startling me slightly. I sighed and stuffed it in my bag.

Eventually I shut my locker and started crutching towards my first class. Stiles came around the corner and locked eyes with me, imedietly looking down at the crutch. Upon seeing him, I turned on my heel and started walking the opposite way.

I halted to a stop when someone placed their hand on my shoulder, coming into my line of view. I was expecting Stiles, but it was someone else.

"Can I speak to you in my office for a moment, Julia?" Ms Morrell asked with a soft smile.

I furrowed my brows, giving her a confused look.

"You're not in trouble, Julia, I just want to talk to you about what happened at the Sheriff Station," she explained, her hands clasping together.

"Fine," I muttered before following Morrell.

Her office was very clean, just like her appearance. I felt uncomfortable to some extent as I sat in the chair, setting my bag on the floor and leaning my crutch against her desk.

"I'd like to go over what happened at the Sheriff's station," Morrell leaned back in her chair as she stared at me. My leg bounced as I shrugged.

"Okay, where do you want me to start?" I asked.