chapter thirteen

BEFORE MY DAD died, I'd like to say I lived in a constant state of fear

       BEFORE MY DAD died, I'd like to say I lived in a constant state of fear. I was always scared of doing something wrong and ending up being punished for it. Or worse, I was absolutely terrified of Isaac getting hurt or losing him. I already lost one brother, I never wanted to lose another.

Now that Isaac was turned, I was starting to experience a new type of fear. I was scared for my own life all the time. I was scared of having to lie just to protect people. I was scared of everyone I loved dying and not getting the justice they deserved.

In general, I was terrified all the damn time.

Just like then. My hands were shaking like leaves in the wind at my sides. I could feel my heart beat in the tips of my fingers as it echoed in my ears. I didn't know what to do.

"Matt? It's Matt, right? Matt, whatever's going on, I guarantee you there's a solution that doesn't involve a gun," Sheriff tried hopelessly to reason, his hands outstretched.

"You know, it's funny you say that, because I don't think you're aware of just how right you are," Matt grinned. He looked insane.

"I know you don't wanna hurt people," Sheriff continued. Matt wasn't having it.

"Actually, I wanna hurt a lot of people. You four weren't on my list, but I could be persuaded," his face shifted, "And one way is to try dialing somebody on your cell phone, like McCall is doing.

I looked over just to see Scott remove his hand from his pocket with a sheepish expression. I mentally facepalmed.

"That-That could definitely get someone hurt," Matt sounded absolutely psycho. He gestured for us to set our phones on the desk with his gun, "Everyone. Now!"

I didn't hesitate for a second as I tossed my shitty phone onto the wooden desk, hands still shaking. We were lead into the holding cell room, reminding me of the last time I was there.

Funny how things line up like that.

"Tighter," Matt ordered Stiles. Stiles was handcuffing his dad to the wall while Matt held the gun at my temple for motivation. My arms were wrapped tightly around myself.

"Please, Stiles," I whimpered pathetically. Stiles sighed as our eyes met, his looking apolagetic. He tightened the cuffs.

Matt began leading us back to the original room, passing the bodies of dead deputies. They were torn apart, blood everywhere.

"What, are you gonna kill everyone in here?" Scott asked angrily.

"No, that's what Jackson's for. I just think about killing them, and he does it," Matt said, just before kanima Jackson dragged another body towards himself to mame even more.

Matt ordered us to get rid of all the evidence, of course. I was in charge of deleting everything from the computer. When he shifted his attention to what Scott and Stiles were doing, I quickly made a copy of the files and saved them somewhere else.