Like an Angel

So what Yaeli drank on the job? She did that sometimes when she couldn't figure it out the first day.

Sure, her head was swimming the day after, but  it helped clear up some things. So it technically helped her kill whatever the monster of the week was.

This happened to be an Amarok, in the middle of Putnam, Illinois. She didn't understand how it got there in the first place, but she was sure as hell going to kill it.

She finally opened her eyes to reveal she had never gotten back to her hotel room. She tried to look around for clues to where she could've been. Nothing. Except that everyone had been dressed like they belonged in a movie with Audrey Hepburn.

Great,she was in some weird ass convention.

"Stop! Stop it you two. There is no point fighting like this," a woman had called out. No one was making a scene, but two men were trading ugly words.

"Anael, this is absolutely not the time to do this! What have you gotten yourself into this time?" another woman asked. The two men were almost to the point of throwing punches. A small blonde woman stood between them, arms extended to stop them from coming too close to each other.

The other lady touched both the men's foreheads, her green eyes glowing a bright white now.

They entered an alleyway, the blonde trailing behind the curly headed brunette that had helped her. She was very obviously complaining about something.

"Jophiel, I do not require your assistance every time this happens."

"Well prove it by not making it happen, Anael! I do not wish to cause a scene and be noticed. We have a mission to do. We must find Cassiel." The blonde one— Anael— hunched over as the other woman yelled at her.

"It's not possible for Cassiel to do what it is you think he is doing."

"It is. If he finds a human, he will send them to hell. And we already know he's found one. They must be around here, we find them and Cassiel and send them back to were they belong."

"You know they are talking about you, right?" someone said from behind Yaeli.

Her first instinct was to punch whoever had crept up behind her, but hey caught her fist before it made impact with their face.

"Who the hell are you?" Yaeli asked.

"I am Cassiel."

"Right. And why are they talking about me then, I don't even know them?"

"No, but they do know I brought you here. To help me save the Righteous Man from hell."

"Hell? What the hell are you talking about?"

"Hell. It's just that. Was I not clear enough? Perhaps you need simpler language?"

"I understood you just fine, but why would you need me to go? I don't know anything about that kinda stuff."

"You are quite good at killing monsters, I believe you will have no trouble in hell."

"Right. And you know everything about me because?"

"We are angels, we know everything about everyone. They tend to be a little open when praying."

"Angels? They exist?"

"I hope so. Or my entire existence has been an awful joke."

"Smartass." Yaeli had only whispered it, but Cassiel was an angel, of course he'd hear her.

"Cassiel, step away from her."

"Jophiel, how lovely you joined us." He was also a sarcastic little shit.

"I know you think this is a good choice, but assure you, it is not," Anael said.

"Anael, you have never seen their soul. Even you'd fall in love, Jophiel."

"I most certainly would not. I, for one, know what the rules are, and how to follow them."

"Okay, look, I really don't care what your guys' problems are. But I really need to get going. You know, gotta city I need to save."

"Oh, I wouldn't worry about it. It was a diversion to get you to come here."

"Okay, well, I guess I'm going to go look for a real monster then," Yaeli said.

"You might have a bit of trouble looking for them. Your phone might not work if there are no phone lines."

"This may be a weird convention, but there are still phone lines."

"No there aren't." Jophiel said, "This is the 50's. Cellular phones do not exist yet."

"What?"

"Cellular phones don't exist at the moment," Anael cleared up.

"I'm in the 50's? What the actual hell? How-"

"If you bring the Righteous Man out of hell, I will send you back home to your own time."

"What the fuck? You can't just do that. That's gotta be wrong? You know, under the eyes of God, or something?"

"No."

"Then, I guess I have no other choice than to help you."

"Cassiel, think about what you are doing. This could be catastrophic."

"Jophiel, I know what I am doing. Yaeli will help us, with her, we have nothing to worry about."

"What do I have to do?"

"You find the Righteous Man and bring them back here. Then we send you back home."