Chapter 14

*One Week Later*

AMELIA'S POV

I ran up to the front door of the suspect's flat before knocking like I was rushed. A younger man in his mid-twenties opened the door.

"Can you please help me?" I cried, wiping away my tears. Sherlock, John and I were currently on another case for Mycroft. Apparently one of the people on a long list of his employees had stolen a classified file of his, and we had to get it back.

"What's wrong?" The man, Ryan Matthews, asked, suddenly looked worried. He opened the door wider and let me in.

"My boyfriend is chasing after me and..." I sniffed before breaking out into fake sobs. "Can I stay here until he passes by?" He nodded.

Hmm... Ryan Matthews, age 25, had a younger sister before she died judging by his actions and the pictures on his wall, as well as the tattoo on his ankle in memory of her. Doesn't seem much of a thief, but by the way he's glancing at his computer and the painting above the fireplace, he has something to hide.

"Would you like some tea?" He asked, bringing me to an armchair and letting me sit down. I nodded, biting my lip and looking out the window with wide eyes. As soon as Ryan disappeared to get my tea, I turned back to the window and winked at John, who was sitting across the street on a bench, "reading" a newspaper. He nodded back at me before pulling out his phone and typing on it.

"Who are you?" I snapped my head around, looking back at Ryan, who was pointing a gun at my head. I didn't flinch, which made him even more scared, especially when I smirked at him.

"Amelia M, consulting detective," I explained before adding in a chirpy voice, "with your address!"

"How did you-"

"Oh, and I know your name, your number, and pretty much everything about you!" I interrupted, closing my eyes and smiling a cheeky smile.

"Why did you-"

"Oh, don't bother with the questions, deary. No one ever answers the questions," I rambled, standing up and walking over to the painting, which I took off of the wall. "Ooo! You have that kind of lock that had letters instead of numbers! I like that kind! I always like to guess what it says. It isn't really that hard to do, you just have to-"

"Back away or I'll shoot," Ryan threatened, motioning with his gun for me to back away from the safe. I rolled my eyes before kicking him with one of my legs, making him fall down. His gun slid across the floor to me, and I stepped on it with my foot.

"Sherlock!" I called, keeping my eyes on Ryan, who was staring at me with wide eyes. Sherlock walked into the room, smirking when he saw Ryan sprawled out on the floor. "The password is Beka."

"How do you know?" Sherlock asked me, frowning before walking over to the lock.

"Did you even see the pictures on the wall? They're of his sister, Beka. I know her name because it says Beka on the tattoo on his ankle," I explained. Sherlock stared at me for a moment later before unlocking the safe. "Sherlock, wait!" I shouted, pushing him to the side while he was opening the safe. Thankfully, the gun inside of the safe hit the wall instead of Sherlock.

I stood up and reached into the safe and grabbed the USB before running out the door and onto the street. I waved to John, who waved back before running over to me.

"I take it you got the file then?" John asked. I nodded, smiling. Sherlock came out the door a moment later. He stared at me for a moment with his usual blank expression before turning to John.

"Yes, we did."

"Yeah," I mumbled. "Right after you almost got shot in the face." John must have heard me because he chuckled. I smiled before turning to Sherlock, who glared at me. Right then, Mycroft's expensive car pulled up beside us.