Chapter 4: Save The Last Dance

It's the night of the Masquerade at the palace...

I'm walking over to the Prince to claim the last dance of the evening, and I find him talking to Lady Penelope as I approach. 

Lady Penelope is in the middle of a conversation with Liam, "...And that's how my family acquired its fifth golden poodle statue..."

"I can relate." Liam lets out a half-laugh. "Don't get me started on the queen's antique goblet collection."

I stand in between them, putting my hand on his bicep. "Excuse me, May I cut in?"

"If you must." Penelope looks at me frowning. 

"I must," I say smiling and standing my ground. 

Penelope reluctantly walks away as the Prince turns to me. 

"You handled that very well..."

"I try." I chuckle, amused that I could stand up to her with such pep in my step. Liam gazes at me with wondering eyes and I can't help but get lost in the blue color. 

"You do more than that. Honestly, you seem as comfortable here as you did back in New York."

"Shall we dance?" I glance down trying to hide my flushed face. I don't think I've had anyone compliment me on how strong I am, I guess I just always felt it. 

The orchestra begins to play a dreamy waltz, as Prince Liam takes my hand. Suddenly, I realize that I have never danced the waltz in my life, let alone in front of all these people. Or with a Prince. I start to get frazzled and glance at all the people who are beginning to watch us. I start to have a giant pit in my stomach. 

"I don't... I'm not sure I know the steps..."

"Just follow my lead." Liam guides me onto the dance floor then pulls me close. With his strong arms around me, I easily match his movements. My feet feel like they are being whisked away by his enchanting stare. 

"You're an amazing dancer."

"My parents would be thrilled to hear that all those years of dance lessons paid off. I'm very glad I got a moment alone with you, Riley." 

"Well, relatively alone. There are only about a hundred people watching us right now."

"Unfortunately, It's about as much privacy as we might expect... Though I do have a few tricks up my sleeve..." He guides me across the ballroom floor and waltzes the two of us out to a set of French doors, to an unoccupied balcony. "We can get a little more privacy out here at least."

"Nice moves." I look up at him and my heart starts to warm as we sway under the stars. If at all possible, even in the darkness of the night, he seems to shine brighter than the moon. 

"I try. Now, I would like to know how you have been through this experience?"

"Maxwell's been very sweet so far. He flew me out here and set me up with a room and everything. I haven't met his brother yet."

"Ah, the Duke. He's... different from Maxwell. More serious. But their house has an excellent reputation, mostly due to him. "

"I see."

"What about Cordonia? What do you think of my home so far?"

"Cordonia? I love it!" I begin to look back on the plane ride here, the amazing castle surrounded by hundreds of beautiful houses and people crowding the streets. It was one of those scenes that you'd see in a movie, and I'd imagine walking through the streets going to my regular baker for fresh bread and over to the coffee shops where the ladies gather around to gossip. Then, I'd imagine holding hands with Liam, strolling through the town at night with nothing but street lights to illuminate us. What a wonderful dream.