Chapter 14: Fair Game

It's the day after our return from the Royal Hunt... and the court jamboree is already underway.

Bertrand and Maxwell lead me down the manor's grand staircase. Nobles walk the halls socializing, eating appetizers, and admiring paintings.

I see Tariq giving a group a lesson, "As you can see, this painting is reminiscent of Rembrandt's style during the Dutch Golden Age."

Kiara's eyes light up and she grins, "The still-life declares that the mundane and the everyday are worthy of the status of high art."

Penelope frowns, "I wish these had more poodles." 

Everyone looks and then ignores her. I smile and think of the paintings as poodles instead of people which causes me to giggle a little. I turn around so no one sees me, but I know I grabbed their attention. 

Kiara holds up her glass to distract them,"To artistic achievement!" The three of them clinks their glasses together.

"Oooh, looks like they broke out the drinks early for this event..." Maxwell rubs his hands together and Bertrand gives him a stern look.

"Focus, Maxwell. We don't have time for party antics."

"But I have so many new tricks."

I grab Maxwell by the arm and smile, "What's the point of a party unless you celebrate like there's no tomorrow?"

"Exactly!"

"For House Beaumont, there may very well be no tomorrow." Bertrand crosses his arms and gives us both the 'disappointed parent' stare-down. 

"So... perfect time to party?" I try to lighten the mood but it only make Bertrand's face crinkle with more rage.

"Hardly. First order of business, make Riley presentable for the country jamboree..."

"I happen to think I'm naturally presentable." Bertrand simply raises his eyebrow, "But that doesn't mean I'm above a fine dress every now and then."

"Today's events are charmingly rustic... games on the lawn and dinner in the gardens. Find something suitable yet elegant."

"Off we go." Maxwell leads me towards the boutique with a spring in his step.

"I'm sure we can find something appropriately 'rustic' here." Maxwell shifts through the dresses and finally pulls one off the rack.

"That's perfect! Even Bertrand would approve."

"Well, try it on!"

I take the dress and walk into the changing room.

I slip on the dress and take a look in the mirror. It is a white dress decorated in pink flowers and a brown belt around the waist. It has a sweetheart neckline with spaghetti straps and brown boots to complete the ensemble. The perfect country girl outfit sure to steal the show!

As I walk out of the changing room, I twirl around, "Now we're ready to turn this from a 'party' to a 'country party'."

"Darn tootin'." Maxwell takes my hand and twirls me around one more time.

"Probably don't say that again."

"Yep, knew it was a mistake as soon as I said it."

"Let's rock this place."

"PAaRrtTyY TtiImMeE!"

Maxwell and I walk though the manor's halls. I see Hana absorbed in a phone conversation by the window.