Chapter 5: Off to the Races

It's the morning of the Derby...

In my room, Maxwell is giving me tips on how to conduct myself.

"So let's review. At the lawn picnic, you'll have to eat with perfect civility..."

"I've got this, Maxwell. I won't stuff my mouth, pick my teeth, or stab Drake with a fork... no matter how tempting that last one might be."

"Right. Well, Bertrand said I should go over everything. Speaking of which, how would you address Bertrand?"

"Your Grace."

"Right! And in case it comes up, his full title is Duke Bertrand Beaumont of Ramsford, also known as Duke Ramsford."

What a mouthful. Suddenly, there's a knock on the door, and Maxwell answers it. Bertrand strolls into the door and neglects to acknowledge my presence. 

"Maxwell. How's the progress?"

"As planned! Riley and I were just about to review her entrance to the Derby and how to get out of a car without flashing the press..."

"Adjust skirts before moving and keep your knees and feet together while swiveling out," I say matter-of-factly.

Bertrand looks even angrier than when he walked in, "Anyone who can run an Internet search can spout off that kind of protocol. We're asking you to be a LADY. Maxwell, I hope you don't mind if I take the liberty of testing Riley myself."

I begin to form my hands into fists trying to retain my anger.

"Pretty sure it doesn't actually matter whether or not I mind..." Maxwell steps back trying to go far from this heated conversation. 

"Indeed." Bertrand walks over to me, and I un-clench and compose myself. "Riley, let's pretend I'm meeting you for the first time. Hello. It's a pleasure to meet you, Lady Riley Summers."

"The pleasure's all mine, Duke Ramsford." I curtsy. Bertrand takes my hand with his right hand and kisses the back of it. 

"Now, what did I do wrong?"

"You... used the wrong hand."

"Correct! I used my right hand instead of my left."

"So, what is the point of knowing that? I'm not going to be kissing Olivia or Hana's hands, am I?"

"No, but you should recognize the insult. It's not enough for you to know your rule. You have to be able to read the other person. The slightest shift could signal disapproval."

"Thanks for the reminder."

"Anyway, the real reason I came was to inform you that our limo awaits to take us to Honeyhill Downs..."

"Limo?!" I am enlightened by even the idea of a limo, and now I'll be able to ride in one? One dream at a time seems to be coming true.

A few minutes later, we are riding in a limo towards the Honeyhill Downs. 

Bertrand turns to me, "Now as we mentioned earlier, how you come across to the Cordonian people is very important, and the press can make or break you. What the press writes, the people read. If people love you, then it'll be easy to convince them you deserve their prince."

Maxwell touches my shoulder and gives me a reassuring smile, "So you've got to impress the press, so to speak. You'll be surrounded by them as soon as we pull up to the Downs."

"All right... What kinds of questions should I be expecting?"

"It'll depend on who's doing the interview..." Bertrand looks sternly at me, "They'll start with easy questions, asking who you are, where you're from, that sort of thing."