Chapter 15: The Brothers Beaumont

Having departed from Applewood Manor, Maxwell, Bertrand, and I ride in a limo toward the Beaumont estate...

"I, for one, thought Riley's performance at the Applewood events was spectacular."

"Maxwell, she did fine."

"Thanks! Hey, did I miss anything at the country jamboree while I was with Liam? There was a lot going on..."

"Not really. It was par for the course... Lots of gossiping, lots of mingling, someone got hit with a racket during the badminton tournament... The usual."

"Is that the usual?"

"Oh! The real big news was that a reporter managed to sneak onto estate grounds. You hardly ever get someone who can do that." Maxwell looks at me surprised and I shudder at the thought.

Bertrand assures us both, "Yes, but she was quickly caught and ejected. She should've known better than to come to a private event. Honestly. Now, enough reminiscing... I cannot stress enough the importance of our upcoming fete. The Beaumont Bash is the final event before the Coronation, and expectations couldn't be higher."

Maxwell nudges me and raises his hands, "Which means we have to throw the best paarrrttttyyyyy!"

"The very reputation of House Beaumont is on the line." Bertrand shuts him down and I try to hold back my laughter.

"And remember, just like Olivia had the advantage when she hosted the royal court, now we'll have the upper hand!"

"Are you prepared, Riley?"

"Honestly, I won't let us down."I clench my fist and look up with confidence.

"I suppose that cliched assertion is the only thing I can rely on..."

Suddenly, Maxwell slides across the limo seat to look out the window, "Hey, we're home!"

Gazing our, I see rolling vineyards all the way up to the edge of a large manor. The limo glides to a stop, and I hop out.

 The limo glides to a stop, and I hop out

"Wow... this is some fine real estate."

"It's beautiful in all its splendor." Bertrand gazes out and smiles for the first time in a long time.

Maxwell plops down onto the couch, "Ahhhh, the cushion still remembers my shape."

"It's cozy... but it also feels empty for a noble's estate. Shouldn't there be, you know, people?"

"To cut costs, the house staff isn't scheduled until tomorrow, but the caterers and cleaning crew from the event planning company should've been here by now."

"It's a big place, Bertrand. You gotta shout to reach them." Maxwell stands and projects his voice, "Hellooooo! We're home!"

I hear no response, "Hmm... Maybe they're all pranking us."