Chapter 18: To Be A Princess

It's the night of the Coronation Ball...

As the ball begins, I wait in line behind the other suitors as Prince Liam receives his gifts.

"Thank you Lady Penelope for his, uh, gem-encrusted poodle figurine."

"I have the matching lady-poodle. So now you can always think of me when you look at it."

"I'm sure I could think of no one else."

Farther back in line, me and Hana wait for our turn...

"Penelope and her poodles." I shake my head and smile.

"Well, it's hard to know what one should get for a Crown Prince. I had to talk my parents out of sending a full-grown bull elephant as our family's Coronation gift. I thought that would be far too awkward to bring into the palace."

"Heh, a little bit."

"How are you doing? Do you feel ready?"

"I'm ready to... get engaged to him. To Prince Liam."

"If anyone has the greatest claim on Prince Liam's heart, it's you, Riley."

As Penelope moves forward, Madeleine greets the Prince... "Prince Liam, congratulations on this most momentous day."

"Thank you, Lady Madeleine."

"Please, accept this small and humble token of my house's admiration." Madeleine hands him a small, velvet box. Liam opens it...

"Diamond cuff links. An elegant and sophisticated gift befitting your house."

"I hope you wear them in good health."

"You're too generous, Lady Madeleine."

"Nonsense, Liam. You deserve all this and more." She runs her hand on his arm, "Much more."

"As always, Lady Madeleine, you're far too kind."

Behind me in line, Olivia walks up and whispers, "I know it was you." 

"What?"

"That stupid note. I'm sure you were behind it. But don't think I can be intimidated so easily."

"Olivia, If I wanted to intimidate you, I'll do it in person."

"Hah. You're about as intimidating as a dormouse, and about as well-mannered too."

"If you have time to pick fights, you should focus on your relationship with the Prince instead."

"You're right... for once." Olivia steps in front of me just as Madeleine curtsies and moves forward. Wit one last look over her shoulder, Olivia approaches the Prince, "Prince Liam! How lovely to see you here." Olivia holds out her hand, and he kisses the back of it.

"Lady Olivia, always a pleasure."

"I hope you enjoy the gift I've selected for your Coronation." Olivia hands Liam an ornate golden box. He opens the lid.

"A cactus? Olivia..."

"You probably don't remember, but a long time ago when we were children, someone teased me and said I was as prickly as a cactus. And you said that you loved cactus's because they were tough and no one messed with them."

"I remember. Of course I remember."

"I wanted to give you this to thank you for always looking out for me. Congratulations on your Coronation, Liam. You're going to be the best king that Cordonia has ever seen."