Chapter 8: A Waltz to Remember

In the wintry duchy of Lythikos...

Hana and I are getting ready for the ball. In the dressing room of Hana's suite, she springs out from behind the curtain, wearing a silver, shimmering dress!

"Ta-da! How do I look?"

"Wow, Hana You're going to set the ball on fire. Everyone's going to be talking about your dress!"

"You think so?"

"I'll force people into awkward conversations about it if I have to."

Hana laughs, "Come on, let's pick your dress so we're not late to the ball."

"One eye-popping dress, coming right up."

Hmmm... what would a royal wear to a ball like this? Going through all the different dresses and finally decide on one called the snowflake sweetheart. It is a long elegant blue dress with sheer sleeves decorated with crystals. 

"It's so beautiful. You look like a magical snowstorm!"

"I feel like a real princess in this dress." I twirl around in the mirror and admire the way the tulle sways back and forth with my movements. 

"Shall we be off?"

"After you, Lady Hana."

Arriving at the chateau's ballroom, I spot Maxwell across the room. He bows to me and Hana.

"Ladies... it's a pleasure to see you both tonight. And Lady Summers, I must say, you look utterly becoming. Truly, a diamond of the first water."

"That's... unusually formal of you. What gives?" I nudge Maxwell's arm and look at him intently. 

"Tonight I am representing the Duchy of Ramsford at this important social event."

"That sounds like something Bertrand would say."

"He's been calling me all night to remind me."

"Ah.... you've got to be on your best behavior or else Bertrand will get on your case?"

"Pretty much."

"Ooh, Olivia hired a full orchestra to play tonight!" Hana claps her hand in excitement.

"I've heard you're quite the musician yourself, Hana." Maxwell eyes Hana. 

"Oh, no. I'm not..."

"Really? I feel like I remember hearing that you were a virtuoso pianist."

"I still play from time to time, but only for fun."

"I'd like to hear you some time!" I chime in as I listen to the wonderful sounds of the orchestra.

"I actually found a piano in the parlor here. I was considering sneaking over there to play tonight...You're welcome to join me, Riley. But for now, we should be getting our seats."

I glance around the room, noticing the fancy name-cards at each place setting. 

"Where are we sitting?" I search for our names, but can't seem to find them.

"About that." Maxwell turns to us with an apologetic look, "Turns out I'm sitting at the head table with Olivia and the Prince... But you two are at the farthest table in the back. I guess Olivia put together the seating plan."

"Olivia's making me sit in the back? I'm just happy to be invited. I'm actually surprised Olivia hasn't locked me in my room yet!"

"Heh. While something like that's unlikely, I wouldn't give Olivia any ideas."