Chapter 17: Lady In Waiting

Early in the evening, the plane touches down on the tarmac...

"It's such a short flight back to the palace."

"Yes, Riley. Much faster than traveling by limo, that's certain. And every second counts today." Bertrand starts to make a to-do list of the things we need.

"I can't believe the Coronation Ball is tonight!" Maxwell grabs my hand and squeezes as I grin back at him.

"I can." Bertrand says with confidence, "Everything we've worked for this season has led up to this."

"I'm going to crush it." I pump my fist and giggle.

"The other ladies won't know what hit them." Maxwell laughs and mimics punching me.

"And then I'll be the future queen."

"Lady Riley..."

"I know, Bertrand, don't mess up..."

"That's not what I was going to say. Lady Riley, I.... have faith in you."

"Huh? Oh! Thank--"

"Ahem, but there's still ample time for you to disappoint me."

"That's more like what I was expecting."

A few minutes later, the aircraft taxis to its gate, and I walk the tarmac towards the airport...

"Now, Lady Riley, I trust you're ready for the Coronation? Have you prepared your gift for the Prince?"

"Gift?"

"Maxwell!" Bertrand turns towards Maxwell with heated anger.

"O, right! The Coronation gift! Er, sorry, Riley..."

Bertrand turns towards me in a panic, "Every guest traditionally presents the Crown Prince with a gift befitting his station."

"Don't worry!" Maxwell pats him on the back and I cringe, "I'm sure Riley and I can throw something together real quick." He winks at me and I smile back.

"Some houses spend months cultivating rare flowers or crafting elaborate culinary delicacies Maxwell."

"...SO we should be fine?" I stare down as I feel Bertrand's glare on the both of us.

Maxwell puts his arm around me as we waltz away from him, "Riley, how are you at poetry? Maybe you could present him with a poem in one of those fancy envelope thingies! Now, what rhymes with Liam...?"

Inside the airport concourse, I walk by a gift shop...

"Look! That shop over there had trinkets from around the world. Maybe there's something here that would work..." Maxwell guides us into the store and I search around.

"Really Maxwell? The airport gift shop?" Bertrand crosses his arms and they begin to bicker again.

"Couldn't hurt to take a look." I get in between them and smile as I tour the facility once more. I come across a rack of keychains... and find one with the statue of liberty on it. I turn over the little statue in my hands. I begin to think of the first time we met, it seems like an eternity ago. Everything we've been through, all seems like it was leading up to this moment. I close my eyes and the pictures replay in my head... The statue of liberty: our first kiss, our first dance, our garden adventures, the pastries and the parties. I can't help but feel the love in my heart burst. All of this from a keychain...