Chapter 9

Outfit above ^^^
Dawn's POV

I woke up from my sleep to Bella still sitting beside me. After doing my business in the bathroom the nurses came to check up on me. They asked the usual questions, how are you feeling?, on a scale of one to ten how bad is your pain?, how does your leg feel standing up? Stuff like that. I answered their questions to the best of my ability then they let me rest. I picked up my phone and saw a call from Sam. I listened to the voicemail. He told me that he never meant to hurt me and that the kiss meant nothing to him. A few stray tears rolled down my cheek hearing the brokenness in his voice. My finger hovered over the call back button but instead, I powered off my phone. A knock sounded at the door and I said come in. Emily came in with a small picnic basket, which I'm sure was full of food.

"Hey Em," I said sitting up as much as I can in this bed.

"Hey, Dawn. How are you doing?" Emily asked setting the basket on the rolling tray. She sat down in the chair by my bed.

"Fine. I wish everyone would stop asking me that but I know that is a losing battle."

"We are just worried about you that's all."

"Thanks. How is he?"

"Won't eat, won't sleep. He is constantly in his wolf form running around the forest. I leave him food out but the plate always comes back untouched. He thinks that he caused your accident."

"But he didn't I did."

"You have to tell him that. He gets angry at the slightest thing. Did you get his call?"

"Yeah. I hate how broken he sounds."

"I know that I have no right to tell you to do anything but I think that you should at least call him. You might get him to tell you what really happened."

"Thanks, Em."

Emily showed me what she brought me. A couple of sandwiches, a bag of barbeque chips and a small slice of chocolate cake. I thanked her and I unwrapped one of the sandwiches and took a bite. Emily ate the other one and we shared the chips and cake. A nurse came in and gave me more medication and soon after she left my eyesight became groggy. I tried to fight but Emily told me to go back to sleep and that she would see me tomorrow. I closed my eyes and heard Emily talking to someone. I didn't really care who it was and I went to sleep. Before the darkness claimed me I felt a familiar heat crawl up my hand.

This continued the entire time I was in the hospital. Emily would bring me lunch and the warmth would come as I fell asleep. Today was the last I was going to spend in the hospital. As usual, Emily brought me lunch and we shared it. The nurse came in but she didn't give me any meds. I closed my eyes pretending to be asleep. I felt the warm touch my hand and I opened my eyes to see Sam standing over me. He looked shocked and scared to see me awake.

"You could have come when I was awake," I said sitting back in an upright position.

"I didn't know if you wanted to see me or not," Sam said sitting down and leaning forward so his elbows were touching his knees, his hands holding his forehead up.

I reached up and ran my hand through his hair. "My finger has hovered over the call button at least a dozen times. I always talked myself out of it though. I was scared that you were going to tell me that you lied and found your real imprint or something similar. I didn't think that I was strong enough to handle that."

"No my real imprint is you. Leah was just a high school crush. Once I shifted and found out about imprints I broke up with her. She was devastated."

"Then why did she kiss you?"

"I don't know. Before you walked in she was reminiscing about old times but I told her that was over. I guess that she saw you and kissed me. I heard you leave and I pulled away. I'll admit that I should have pulled away sooner but it felt so much like old times that I... got caught in the moment and for that, I am sincerely sorry. The last thing I ever wanted to do to you is cause you pain and I did that and I put you in the hospital-"

"No you didn't I did. I shouldn't have driven when I was angry and sad. Please don't blame yourself. Emily told me that you weren't eating or sleeping, is that true?"

"Yes, it's true. I was blaming myself for your predicament. I'm sorry."

"Please start eating again."

"If that's what you want."

"I want you to eat a proper meal and sleep for at least a week."

"If I sleep for a week then you won't see me."

"But I will know that you are getting better."

"You look exhausted."

"I feel exhausted. You're keeping me up from my scheduled nap."

"Sorry. You get some rest."

"Will you lay with me?"

"Scooch over."

I scooted over and Sam wrapped one arm around my back and one arm around my waist. I rolled over into Sam's chest and snuggled deep into his chest. I felt Sam pull me closer than I already was. I closed my eyes one last time and let sleep overtake my body.

I woke up to the sound of a click. I tried to roll over but found it impossible. I opened my eyes and saw a hard muscular chest. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Bella with my phone. I wiggled around and the arms wrapped around my waist loosened up a bit. I sat up in bed and saw Sam's sleeping face resting on my pillow right above where the crown of my head would be. I saw Bella standing at the edge of my bed with a bag of clothes. I woke Sam up by poking his face repeatedly. He got off of the bed and left the room. Bella helped me change into a pair of baggy sweatpants, a black spaghetti strap shirt, and red and white plaid overshirt, then Charlie signed the discharge papers. He didn't look happy to see that Sam was helping me walk. Once I explained that we talked everything out Charlie changed his mind.

Sam and Charlie got me settled in on the couch at Bella's house. Bella was making me something to eat and I was relaxing against Sam's chest. And Charlie got me a blanket from upstairs. I snuggled once again into Sam's chest. I heard a phone go off and Sam answered his phone. He sighed before saying hello. I heard him give a small growl before looking at me and calming down. He gently moved me so he could get up then he walked outside.

"Sam leave?" Charlie asked.

"No, he just got an important phone call," I answered.

"Do you know who?" Bella asked handing me a plate of food.

"No, and I don't really need to I trust him."

"Funny way of showing it," Bella muttered under her breath.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You ran when you thought he cheated on you. Then in less than twenty-four hours, you forgive him just like it never happened."

"And what about you? Edward left you without a word. He won't answer your calls, your emails, your messages and I bet that if he walked right through that door you would jump into his arms and forgive him for leaving without a trace. Am I right?"

"That is different. I know that he didn't cheat on me."

"It's not any different. Sam explained himself and I believe him because I saw what happened. I saw that she kissed him not the other way around."

"If you saw that then why did you leave?"

"Because... because..."

"Exactly. You thought that he cheated and that he never really cared about you just like your father."

Salty tears leaked down my face. Why did she have to bring him up? She knows how I feel about my father and what he did to my mom. "How dare you? You know exactly what he did to me and mom."

"I'm sorry I didn't mean it-"

"Don't. You don't get to bring up the devil then just pretend that everything is okay."

Sam came back in and he saw me crying. He wrapped me in a big hug before shooting a glare at Bella. I told him that I wanted to stay with him and Emily and he agreed. He packed up my suitcase and backpack and we left. I told Charlie about my fight with Bella, no doubt that he could hear it, and he let me go anyway.