Chapter 19

Dawn's POV

I woke up the next morning wrapped in nothing but a sheet. I rolled over to see, much to my surprise, Sam still asleep. I snuggled further into his embrace and let myself fall back to sleep. The second time I opened my eyes I was alone. I slowly sat up and felt a twinge of pain in my... lower region. The door to our ensuite opened and out walked Sam in a pair of boxers.

"Good morning my love," Sam said giving me a sweet kiss on the lips.

"Morning," I whispered back.

Without warning Sam lifted me up, the blanket falling back onto the bed, and carried me to the bathroom. I looked around and saw a bath drawn up with scented candles making the room look serene and peaceful. As he set me down, I pulled him in for another kiss as a thank you before getting in the warm water. Sam soon joined me and we enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Long after the water had run cold we finally decided to let the rest of reality sink in. After a not so fast shower, I was finally able to escape Sam's clutches to make it downstairs. The living room was empty and so were the dining room and kitchen. When I asked Sam where everyone was and he told me that they were spending the day with their families and imprints. I looked at the clock, gasped, and quickly threw on some shoes and grabbed a jacket. Sam gave a gentle laugh before I told him that I promised to go help mom unpack. Sam grabbed his shoes and an unnecessary jacket before we walked over to Mom's house.

We spent the afternoon helping my mom decorate her house. Sam moved all the heavy furniture and I put up all her nic nac's from her travels before she had me. As we unwrapped each one she told me a story of how she got it. A Buddha from her time in India, a snowglobe from Moscow, a conch shell from the Dominican Republic, among many other items.

After we finished decorating for the day I decided to bake Jake's cookies and an extra batch for Mom and Sam. When they were done I wrapped up the batch to go to Jake and put his name on it. The boys would devour it otherwise. Mom had finally deemed the place livable and we all took a break. Mom then got up and walked out of the room with a little jump. What is she up to? I thought to myself. Sam turned to face me on the couch and gently held my hand.

"Sam? What are you doing?" I asked.

"Dawn, I have loved you since before I even knew you. I fell in love with you the very first time our eyes met even if you didn't notice me. What I feel when I'm with you is a feeling I don't ever want to lose. Will you, Dawn Brooks, make me the happiest man in La Push, and marry me?" He took a little black box out of his pocket and opened it. Inside sat a silver engagement ring with a big diamond in the center.

My hands flew to my mouth in shock and my eyes started to water. I slowly nodded my head yes while saying, "Yes!"

He slipped the ring on my finger before bringing me into a kiss

He slipped the ring on my finger before bringing me into a kiss. I heard the click of a camera as well as clapping. We broke apart to see Mom practically jumping up and down in joy.

"Did you know about this?" I asked Mom.

"He just asked while you were busy cooking," Mom said. "I'm happy you found someone like Sam, darling."

"I couldn't ask for anyone better."

I woke up one morning, a few weeks later, to an empty bed. It wasn't unusual since Bella announced her engagement. I walked downstairs to see Emily already making breakfast. Embry walked into the room and wrapped his arms around Emily's waist. She leaned into his chest and he rained kisses down the scarred side of her face.

"Where's Sam?" I asked.

"Patrol. How are you doing?" Embry asked.

I looked down at my still flat stomach and gently placed my hand on it. "So Em told you?"

"I hope that was okay. He caught me shopping on Amazon," Em said moving to sit next to me at the table.

"It's fine Em. We're doing fine. Sam still doesn't know so please don't tell him. I want to be the one to tell him," I said.

"So when are you going to tell him?" Embry asked.

"Soon. If things ever die down and Bella stops causing such a problem."

"When is Bella not a problem?" Paul sarcastically asked walking in from the back porch.

"Never. Are you guys hungry?" I asked getting up from the table.

Em joined me in the kitchen and we made a big meal for the boys. As we were cooking my stomach started to turn in a bad way. I calmly walked out of the kitchen and into the bathroom. I sat down on the ground and waited for it to pass. A little while later a knock sounded on the door. "Who is it?" I asked my eyes still closed.

"It's just me," Em said opening the door. "How are you feeling?"

"A bit better. I'm sorry I abandoned you." I felt tears spring to my eyes.

"It's okay. I get it. Sam's wondering where you are. I told him that you're not feeling well."

"Thanks. Can you tell him I'll be out in a minute?"

"Sure."

I waited a few seconds after Em shut the door before getting off of the floor. I flushed the toilet so they wouldn't get suspicious and I washed my hands. I walked downstairs and everyone looked at me. Sam walked up to me and led me to the table.

"Baby, what's wrong?" Sam asked crouching in front of me.

"I'm fine. Please don't worry about me," I said. "What was the howl about?" I asked redirecting away from me.

"It's Jacob. He left."

"What do you mean left?" Embry asked.

"He's gone. Leech Lover's getting married and she sent him an invite," Paul said. "She sent you one too." He handed me a white envelope.

I opened it and to my surprise, a letter fell into my lap. I quickly read the letter was surprised by what I read. Bella wanted me to be in the wedding. I handed Sam the letter and he quietly read it.

"Are you going to do it?" he asked.

"I don't know."

Mystery POV

I was walking through the snow infested forest. Just like I had done a thousand times before. The only sounds to be heard were the heavy crunch of my boots and the sharp intake of breath every so often. I felt something pulling me further into the forest. So I followed. A few meters later and I came across a wolf stuck in a bear trap.

I cautiously walked towards the animal. He or she must have heard the crunch of the snow beneath me because it started growling. "Take it easy. I don't want to hurt you. I just want to help." I looked deep into its eyes and it stopped growling. I took it as a sign to walk closer.

It craned its head towards my outstretched hand and I felt a small spark when my skin made contact with its fur. It watched my every move. I gently put my hand near the wound and it let out a yelp. I moved my hand, maintaining contact with the other, towards the bear trap.

"Patentibus," I said and the trap opened. It slowly walked away from the trap but it was moving slow on its injured leg. "I can help you," I said, knowing it could hear me. "I live not far from here. I could dress the wound." It nodded its big brown head and I slowly lead it back home.