Chapter Nineteen

I woke with with a smile on my face because I felt lips kissing my neck down to my shoulder.

After he confessed his feelings, he could not stop kissing me. He kissed me everywhere he could. I thought it was super cute.

I giggled when he lightly brushed a ticklish spot on my neck.

"Hmm," he wondered out loud, "I wonder if I just"

He paused, and a mischievous grin formed on his face. Suddenly, his arms shot up, and I felt fingers lightly stroking my neck. My jaw hit my chest so fast that I thought my jaw would crack. Even though my neck was covered, his fingers found a way. I squirmed and turned like a cat in a bathtub full of water, but he just wouldn't stop.

When he was done, I was panting heavily and sweaty as if we had just done the dirty deed. Technically, we did not too long ago.

He lowered his face to kiss my cheek and the tip of my nose. "God, you're cute," he murmured before wrapping his arms around me and pulling my body against his chest.

"Do you want some breakfast?" He asked kissing the top of my head.

"Yeah," I looked down, "I'm a little hungry," I mumbled.

"Okay," he kissed my cheek, "let's go take a shower and then we can cook breakfast together."

I early accepted the offer, and he dragged us both into the shower. It took quite a while because with his hands all over me and mine all over him, we ended up doing a little more than just a shower. Luckily, his walls are soundproof.

"What do you want to eat?" He asked as we walked hand in hand down the stairs to his kitchen.

"I'm not sure," I put a finger to my lips to look like I was thinking, "I think something sweet."

"How about crepes?"

"Crepes?"

"Yeah," he scratched the back of his neck, "I was thinking crepes because that is the first breakfast you ever made me."

I blushed, "Oh, yeah. We could—" I was cut off by the sound of a footstep.

Instantly, Nick had pulled out his gun and pushed me behind him. I held onto the back of his shirt while we silently and carefully walked down the remaining steps. The farther we got the more the eerie feeling grew.

Before I knew it, I felt a breeze at my back, and the collar of my T-shirt pulled back, pulling my with it. I tripped over my feet and landed on my butt with a thud. When I opened my eyes, an older, scarier man held a gun pointed directly at me. Nick held his gun pointed at the man, finger on the trigger.

"Martinez, it seems you have a death wish," Nick sneered.

"I thought the same of you, you know, screwing over Lorenzo like that," Martinez casually stated.

"Why are you here?" Nick growled.

Martinez chuckled, "I'm here to get even," he turned to me. My eyes widened, thinking he was going to shoot me. "Come with me, sugar."

I shook my head no, and that seemed to make him angrier.

"You better get up now, or I won't be so nice when we're alone together," he warned.

A wave of disgust washed over my skin thinking of what he meant by alone together.

"Please, I would buy a vibrator before I got with you," I hissed.

What the hell did I just say that?! Do I have a death wish?! I saw his body instinctively move forward, and the next thing I heard was a gun shot.

I closed my eyes waiting for the pain to come, but when it didn't, I opened my eyes to see Martinez grabbing his shoulder with a hand covered in red liquid.

I suddenly felt myself being picked up and pushed behind a body. Nick. I once again grabbed the end of his shirt as some sort of security measure and huddled up behind him.

"You have no fucking clue what I'm going to do to you," Nick growled before hitting his head with his gun. Martinez tumbled to the floor. I pulled out Nick's phone from his back pocket and handed it to him. He mumbled a quick thanks and called his men to take Martinez to the warehouse.

Once he finished his call, he took my hand in his and led me to the kitchen. He put his hands on my waist and lifted me up to sit on the counter. He stood between my legs with his hands caressing the sides of my face.

He sighed, "I don't know if this was the right thing to do," he mumbled.

"What was?" I quietly asked.

"This, us," he paused, trying to find the right words, "I mean—what if one day you end up hurt or worse because of all the enemies I've made?"

"Nick—"

"Amelia, what if you end up dead? What if I can't protect you?"

I sighed, "You can't protect everyone,"

"But I have to try," he whispered.

My face fell. "I don't want you to leave me," I whispered, my voice breaking at the end.

His facial expression softened. "I don't want to either. I just did a lot of wonder before about getting involved with you and then finding you covered in your own blood on my living room rug. I just never want to see you hurt."

I brought a hand up to his face, feeling the slightly prickly stubble near his jaw. "I know, but I've never felt like this toward a guy, and I'm not going to give it up for anything."

He sighed, "You do know what that means, right?"

"Of course, I do. I knew since the day you saved me."

He stared into my eyes with desperation, longing, and fear all swirling together until a small smile emerged under the tense, worried expression. He brought me closer to him, pulling my head and shoulders to his chest.

"I promise you that I will do everything I can to protect you," He whispered in my ear before planting a sweet, slow kiss to my lips.

And I promise that I will do everything to protect you, even if it means risking my life.