Such Bros

Link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/1165512

~*~

“Do you ever think you’re missing out?”

“In relation to what, exactly?” Louis asked, and rolled over onto his stomach so he could better reach the crisps.

Despite being at a party, he and Zayn were holed up in a bedroom together, lying on a queen-sized bed with a bowl of Doritos and a six pack of beer stuck between them.

Louis would like to be able to say this was a one-off, that usually he and his best mate were the socialising type who danced and hooked up, but they always ended up somewhere quiet. Sometimes it was with other people too, but rarely.

Zayn still hadn’t said anything, so Louis pinched his hip and asked “Do you want to go out there?”

“Out where?”

“Like, where everyone else is.”

“Why would I want to do that?”

There was probably something a bit odd about how happy that made Louis, the utter revulsion that had laced Zayn’s words at the mere suggestion that he could be somewhere else. But Louis didn’t care, and instead rolled over onto his back again.

Louis’ head was on a pillow at the head of the bed, and Zayn’s socked feet were on the one beside him, so Louis pulled at Zayn’s big toe and the other boy pushed himself up to rest on his elbows. He raised an eyebrow, and Louis shrugged. “If you feel like you’re missing out, go join the party.”

Zayn grunted and dropped himself back on the bed. “Whatever it is that I’m missing, it’s definitely not that.”

“Did Harry give you some rank stuff or something? You’re talking utter shit.”

Zayn held up the spliff that was pinched between his fingers and watched as he rolled it slowly. “Don’t think so. And I’m not talking shit.” He added, and took a hit before passing it over to Louis. “I’m just saying, like. Don’t you ever feel like something’s missing? That there’s more to life than this?”

Louis tried his hardest not to laugh, so what came out instead was some kind of giggle-snort hybrid. “You mean more to life than smoking and drinking our lives away? I doubt it.”

“Fuck, forget it.” Zayn sighed, and sat up properly. Louis did the same, because it felt a bit odd having Zayn hovering over him like that. He was tucking his legs under his ass when Zayn muttered “We don’t just drink and smoke. We skate too. And go to Uni.”

“Rarely.” Louis laughed, and passed the joint back to Zayn. “When was the last time we went – “

“Yesterday.”

“- And actually stayed for a whole lecture?”

“Oh.” Zayn grunted, and put his hand up to rub over his face. Louis got caught for a moment on how his fingers scratched lightly through his dark stubble, but he put it down to the weed. Shit like that always happened when he smoked; Zayn’s fingers and everything they did became that much more noticeable. “Maybe like two weeks ago, for that Psych one about sexuality.”

Louis nodded slowly, because how could he forget that? He’d been incredibly uncomfortable about it all, hearing talk of theories behind homosexuality and bisexuality and about a million other ones that he’d never heard of. He never understood why things couldn’t just be as they were, without any explanations and labels and hypotheses behind whose dick goes where and why.

“I liked that lecture.” Zayn said, face scrunched up, obviously thinking hard. “It was interesting to hear about that stuff. Like, the prostate. I didn’t even know that was a thing. Not exactly something they teach you about in school.”