Prologue

Here is my second story. I was watching Kingsman: The Golden Circle yesterday and just hated what they did to Agent Whiskey. I thought he deserved better or at least a more fleshed out backstory. So here's the idea I had. Meh...
Please note that I own NOTHING!
________________________

Jack was on top of the world. He couldn't wait to tell his high school sweetie the good news. He got a job at The Statesman. Granted he'd still have to keep quiet what that actually meant. To her, he got a high paying job as a businessman at a billion dollar company. They could travel around the world, their baby boy would go to the best schools, they'd buy a bigger house, and she'd never have worry about money ever again. But the truth was he would be saving the world on a daily basis. He hummed along with the music in his car and thought about how she'd react. With their baby boy on the way she had been worried about all the things they needed for the baby's arrival. She made sure the baby's room was immaculate. Already their son had a bookshelf full of tall tales(Pecos Bill was Jack's favorite), toys gifted from friends and relatives, even Champagne gave a small gift. Jack smiled at the little black teddy bear with a cowboy hat, little vest, and sheriff's badge that said Statesman on it.
He was so overcome with his joy that he barely noticed the police car waiting for him in front of his house.

*****
Jack sat in the chapel of the local hospital not because he needed to pray, it was the only quiet place he could find where he could be left alone. It got annoying real fast having nurses, police, social workers, and doctors pester him with 'are you ok?' or 'do you need to talk to someone?' Of course he wasn't ok. He just learned that the love of his life was caught in the middle of a convenience store robbery. One bullet later and she was laying in the hospital morgue. The doctor said there was not they could do for her but the performed an emergency C-section in the hopes of saving the baby. But the looks on their faces told him all he needed to know...his baby boy most likely wouldn't survive the night.
Jack clutched the Statesman bear to chest and fought the tears. "It ain't right...it just ain't." He mumbled.

"That sure is the truth," Champ sighed behind him.

"Didn't even heat your come in."

"Well, I reckon you've got more important things on your mind," Champ sat forward and rest a hand on Jack's shoulder, "Any word on the little one?"

Jack lowered his eyes back down to the Statesman bear. "They won't say it but I know what they're thinkin'. I'm gonna lose my boy too."

Champ squeezed Jack's shoulder as he started to cry. "I'll be damned if we don't at least try and help your boy." He pulled out his cigar lighter from his coat pocket and hit the button. Instead of a flame, a small antenna popped out and cackled to life. "Champ here. I'm gonna need y'all to prep the clinic for guest. Send in the transfer now, there isn't much time."

Champ helped Jack onto his feet. "Come on, Whiskey. Your boy needs you. We take care of our own and we'll fight like hell to make sure your boy lives."

Jack wiped his tears with his sleeve and gave a firm nod. They left the chapel and marched to the NICU like men on a divine mission. While Champ took care of the doctors and administrators, Jack stayed close to his son. He never thought that he'd meet his boy this way. He dreamed that his wife would sit next to him tired and sweaty from labor. He dreamed that he'd hold his son close to his chest and smell his hair. Instead his poor child was in a incubator with various tubes connecting him to oxygen, nutrients, and other machines monitoring his frail body. Jack leaned down and whispered to his sleeping child. "I know you want to see your momma, but don't go just yet. My friends are going to help you get better. I promise that I'll protect you from all the bad guys who would hurt you. Just hold on a little longer."

He heard the door open and a small team of doctors came in and rushed around the incubator. Jack was quickly put at ease after seeing Statesman pins on their scrubs. For the first time all night, he had hope.

*****

Jack slept on a cot close by to his son's incubator at the Statesman HQ. It had been a few rough weeks with his wife's funeral and the baby's treatments. But as each day passed, his baby boy grew stronger. The Statesman had technology that was decades ahead of everyone else. He had to thank Ginger Ale, a short balding man, for putting majority of his time into help his son. Jack was stirred awake at the sound of a hiccup and cry coming from the incubator. At the same time Ginger Ale came in with a smile. "Sounds like someone is awake!"

Ginger checked the monitors and his charts as the baby continued to cry while Jack anxiously stood back. Ginger gave a satisfied sigh and smiled at Jack. "I think today is the day!"

"The day for what?"

"The day where you can hold your boy." Ginger motioned to the incubator and immediately got to work arranging the baby's cords. "Come on! Don't be shy!"

"Are you sure I won't hurt him?" Jack's heart suddenly seized. "I-I mean..isn't it too soon?"

"Oh hogwash! I'm positive he'll be fine."

Jack edged closer to the incubator and waited for Ginger's instructions. Soon a wiggling weight was settled into Jack's arms. The baby's cry quieted some but not completely. He must be hungry, Jack thought. As if reading his thoughts, Ginger handed him a bottle of formula and motioned him to sit in a chair close by with the promise that he'd be back to check on the baby.

Jack couldn't take his eyes off his son. He looked just like him with dark skin and hair. He chuckled as the baby quickly sucked down the bottle he was given and gave an angry grunt when the formula wouldn't come fast enough. "You have you momma's appetite. She could wolf down an entire large pizza by herself." He paused for a minute and sighed. "I'm sorry your momma's not here. I wasn't there to protect her and some junkies took her from us. They almost killed you too. But you're a fighter like me. I promise I'll keep you safe no matter the cost...I'll keep you safe."

A knock broke him out of his musings. "Hey, Champ! How are ya?"

"Fine fine." He smiles at the bundle in Jack's arms. "So the little guy made a jailbreak?"

"Yeah, Ginger said he's doing ok." He smiled back at his son. "He still has a ways to go, but he'll grow up to be a healthy boy."

"That's real good!" Champ laughed "We'll make a Statesman out of him yet! What's his name? A baby has to have a name."

"I chose a girls name and my wife picked a boys name. She picked Rhett."

"Fine name."