Poppy Land

Here is my second story. I was watching Kingsman: The Golden Circle yesterday and just hated what they did to Agent Whiskey. I thought he deserved better or at least a more fleshed out backstory. So here's the idea I had. Meh...
Please note that I own NOTHING!
_____________________________
Sodapop fought tears as he sat by his Pa's bed while the nano technology did its job. He was more than happy to let the Kingsman update Champ about the failed mission while he helps Ginger get to work on his Pa's head injury. The image of blood on the cabin floor still danced behind his eyelids and he loud bang of Galahad Sr.'s gun continued to roar in his ears. He bit his lip to stifle a sob as the machine hummed away. He wondered if this is how Chai felt sitting by her sister's bed. He couldn't look her in the eye knowing they failed to bring the cure. Cholado stopped by to offer a sympathetic ear but couldn't stay long. He assured Soda that Chai wasn't angry and that she hoped that Whiskey would be alright.

Can he see Mama? He wondered. Will he be mad if he wakes up and I'm not here?

He knew he had to continue with the mission, but right now he just wanted to be with his Pa. Tequila and Chai's sister were already placed in a cryotube in the hopes of slowing the poison in their veins. Soda sighed and thought about the adventures his Pa told him as bedtime stories. He remembered the feeling of hugging his bear tight in awe of his father's heroism. It was like he was listening to a real superhero. He hoped that when the mission was over, he'd be back by his father's bedside to tell his own adventure.

"You alright, Rhett?" Ginger calmly walked into the room with her tablet in hand.

"Yeah," he wiped his eyes. "I'm alright. It's just...weird seeing him here like this."

Ginger nodded. "Well, no need to fret. Everything looks good so far. I just need something to jog his memory when he comes to."

Rhett smiled. "Check his pocket inside his jacket."

Ginger set her tablet down and smiled. "I'm not gonna find a matchbox from a titty bar, am I?"

"Funny." He rolled his eyes.

She chuckled and checked Whiskey's pockets as instructed. She pulled out an old polaroid with a woman's face smiling back at her. "Is this your mama?" She handed the photo to him.

He took the photo and nodded. "For as much of a hound dog he is, I know he loved my mama. He talked about her all the time when I was a youngin. He only chases skirts to hide his hurt."

Ginger looked at Whiskey with pity. She always thought that he was compensating for something with his womanizing way. Confirming it, just made it sad to think about. She took the photo back from Rhett and gently put it in her pocket. "I'll keep it safe. Don't you worry."

He nodded in thanks. "Any word on Poppyland?"

"We got a location. The boys are loading up a jet as we speak and the Kingsmen are packing their gear."

"Best get going then."

A knock on the door interrupted them. Eggsy waited by the door. "Mind if I pop in?"

Ginger turned to Sodapop. "I'll double check the flight logs." She nodded to Eggsy and left.

The young men held an awkward silence before Eggsy cleared his throat. "Look, bruv...about Whiskey..."

"Look, man," Sodapop rubbed his eyes. "This whole operation is a shit show and we both know any mission can go sideways at any time. But Whiskey is gonna be back on his feet in no time. Although..." he smirked. "You and Galahad Sr. better make yourself scarce when he comes to. Wouldn't want to see your fancy suit cut in half by his lasso."