Chapter 1

"Marceline! Get in here," Her grandfather barked at her from downstairs. Marceline groaned as she climbed out her bed, but excitement filled her as she realized today she would be able to leave for Hogwarts after another horrible summer.

She would no longer have to use the tiny bathtub on the nights on full moons, and instead would be able to use the lake at Hogwarts in the company of her friends. Her grandparents had always insisted on her using the bathtub at their home, but Marceline was always miserable, lonely and crowded in the bathroom. 

She brushed her hair before going downstairs, knowing that her grandmother would fuss at her and make her go brush it anyway. She put on a fresh pair of clothes, wearing a green jumper and jeans. She checked her trunk to make she had packed everything, and headed downstairs into the kitchen.

"Eat." Her grandmother pointed at the eggs and bacon that were waiting for her on a plate. She ate quickly, looking at the clock and seeing that it was 10:17, knowing she had slept in.

"You'll be apparating with me and your grandfather will apparate with you trunk," Her grandmother said, avoiding looking at her sea green eyes. Mrs. Phillips had never been able to look Marceline in the eyes, as they were the perfect match of sea and she hated any mention of the fact that her granddaughter was a half-mermaid.

"Okay," Marceline said, after taking a drink of orange juice to wash down the bacon and eggs.

After Marceline had finished her breakfast, she took ahold of her grandmothers arm.

"We'll be getting there a bit early," Her grandfather said, grabbing ahold of her trunk.

"That's fine," Marceline said quickly, just wanting to get out of the house. Her grandfather shrugged his shoulders, and the next thing she knew, her and her grandmother were apparating.

They appeared in an empty street near Kings Cross, no one being close enough to notice that two ladies had appeared out of nowhere, quickly followed by a man with a trunk.

"Are you going to your friends for Christmas again?" Her grandfather asked her as they walked towards the station.

"Probably." Marceline had usually gone to her best friends, Aliyah and Lance, house for Christmas. Her mother knew what Marceline was and had proceeded to buy a kiddie pool for the girl to change rather comfortably. It wasn't her best option, but it was better than going back to her grandparents and it was better than staying at the school by herself.

The Phillips and Marceline had never been much for goodbyes, and Marceline walked through the barrier without them following, knowing they weren't going to follow her to say goodbye. They didn't like associating themselves with her in front of the other parents and grandparents, and taking her to Kings Cross was as far as they went.

"Marcy!" Aliyah called to her, followed closely by her brother, Lance. Lance was year younger than Marcy and Aliyah but he was still close to the girls. Aliyah and Lance were extremely close, being friends all throughout their life.

"Hey guys!" Marceline said, turning around with a smile. "Should we go find a compartment?"

The trio walked along the train until they spotted Cedric sitting with their other friends Lola and Artemisia.

"Hey guys!" Lola said, greeting her friends that were joining them in the compartment. The group talked for a while, sharing stories from over the summer, with all the places they went. Marceline stayed quiet and listened, not having gone anywhere over the summer. Her grandparents never took her anywhere, and while they sometimes went places, they never took her with them. The group was on the subject of the Quidditch World Cup, and it seemed everyone had gone except for her and Artemisia, who had never been interested in quidditch.