Chapter 3

As it turned out, Fred was very good at charms, and Marceline was very grateful for the help. She finished much earlier than she would've if she had been working with Aliyah, as the two girls both struggled and got distracted easily, especially when working together. After they finished, her and Fred walked around the grounds for a bit.

"So, did you go anywhere over the summer!" Fred promoted to make conversation.

"No, my grandparents don't ever take me anywhere," Marceline told him. She hated talking about summer, as everyone always had cool stories to tell but she had nothing.

"How come?"

"They just, don't," Marceline muttered, not wanting to explain to him why her grandparents hated her.

"Do they go places?"

"I mean, yeah, sometimes," Marceline muttered again.

"And they don't take you?" Fred said, stopping and frowning at the girl. "Why not?"

"It's kind of a long story," Marceline said, not liking where this conversation was going and trying to think of a way to change the subjecting.

"I have time," Fred said, looking at her.

"It doesn't matter!" Marceline snapped, looking away from Fred's gaze.

"It's because the mermaid thing, isn't it," he said softly and Marceline gaped at him.

"How did you know about that?" She whispered. It was her biggest secret, and her worse fear that the school would find out. If Fred knew, how many other people did?

"Me and George were sneaking around outside one night," He admitted. "We saw you in the Black Lake."

"So... you know," She said slowly. "You don't care?" She said, looking back up at him.

"Why would I care? It's not like it's a big deal, Marcy. Just because you grow a tail every now and then doesn't change who you are."

"It is a big deal though. My grandparents hate me for it. They told me my dad was literally murdered for it and I was supposed to be murdered too, but my grandparents took me in. It's a very big deal to be a half-mermaid."

"Well, to me it isn't. I just have one question though," He prompted, and Marceline raised her eyebrows. Knowing Fred, she had a feeling she knew what the question was going to be. "How did that even happen! There's a tail there?"

Marceline smiled at Fred, and raised her eyebrows. "Just because they don't have legs doesn't mean they don't have the proper body parts to enjoy themselves, Fred," She said, and laughed at the expression on his face.

"Too much information, Marcy," He said, shaking his head to get the image out of his mind. "Too much information."

"It's your own fault for asking," Marceline said, laughing as he continued to look horrified.

The two of them walked back to the castle together, and while Marcy was taking potions, Fred wasn't.

"Good luck with Snape," He told her, but Marceline shrugged her shoulders.

"He's awful towards other students, and I hate him for that, but he leaves me alone. He never has anything bad to say about my potions," Marceline said.

"I wish he didn't have anything bad to say about my potions. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with him anymore," Fred said, and Marceline laughed.

"Yeah, he really is an awful teacher. Lance says he always picks on him, so that sucks." Marceline didn't even notice that Fred was walking with her all the down to the dungeons even though he didn't have that class until they arrived at the door.