Chapter 8 (3/3)

I thought about what I would reply but then I forgot about him sitting there completely.

What did I remember?

Lost in memory, I tracked myself back to when Lewis took me to the machine but then things got sketchy. I knew I had entered it but everything else was gone.

"Can you tell me?" He pushed.

The exhaustion was returning but I knew I could put it off no longer. It would happen no matter what I did.

"I'm a Dragon Warrior now." I finally said, my voice shaking.

"How?" He leaned in closer.

I knew what he was asking.

"Aaron, I wanted this." I replied.

"Why?" His face contorted and he sat up before I could reply.

He was angry now. It wasn't a dream, the things I'd felt.

I thought about my reply. I knew nothing would be good enough for him. I had told him time and again what my dream was, and he had told me time and again that I was lucky it would never be true. So why was the question.

"So that I can have the power my family did not." I finally said, my tired eyes looking out straight ahead of me and losing focus.

"You're a fool if you think you'll ever get back what they took from you. No one ever does." He shot at me, the words like knives.

"Aaron I-" I began. He jumped away from the bedside.

"If this is what you wanted then fine. I can't stop you from changing, or dying." Aaron stormed past me and I watched him leave with tears forming in my eyes.

Why was he doing this without even a second glance? Why hadn't I called after him?

This was my dream and his nightmare. I knew why he couldn't be happy for me but it didn't mean he had a reason to hate me.

I guess hating someone was easier than watching someone you care for, die.

After that day, Aaron never came to see me again.

A few times I thought that perhaps I had seen his shadow passing by the doorway but even that I questioned.

Jasson gave me more of those pills and every day my mind became more clear. He told me that I needed to keep taking them or the haze in my mind would return. I didn't understand what they did or why I needed to take them but no one seemed inclined to tell me. All I knew was that if I was even a minute late, the burning in my mind would return and it terrified me.

I found out that the blonde woman's name was Clare. She was Lewis's niece and quickly found out that she was both exactly like her uncle and yet completely different. We did not get along but she did tell me one thing.

I would begin training soon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed the chapter <3<3 Let me know what you think of the story so far in the comments!