As Curious as a Cat

Kelsey Rutherford's best friend rented a house in the suburbs. She could have afforded a large, luxurious apartment in the city, but though she'd inherited a small fortune, Robin refused to spend it frivolously.

She did everything for one reason. She shared an apartment with Kelsey after they graduated college and though Kelsey insisted they split the rent, Robin still picked out a large studio two bedroom. She still paid for part of it, but Robin footed most of the bill, which she insisted was fair because she used most of the space for storage. When Kelsey moved out to be with her boyfriend, Robin could have afforded the rent by herself, but she took the opportunity move out of the crowded, noisy city instead.

Kelsey knew the only reason she chose the apartment's location had been to benefit her, being only a few minutes from the hospital where she worked. Robin gave plenty of excuses for why the place was perfect for both of them, but she could have worked out of a cave and it wouldn't have mattered. Robin's fame ensured her success.

Very few people chose to study witch magic in particular. The rule of thumb said if you were researching the practice of magic, then you were a nut looking to hit up a demon for magic. Kelsey believed Robin to be plenty dangerous without a personal compliment of magic charms.

Spirits and demons tried to cut deals with Robin, but she usually laughed in their faces and then kicked them out. Being her friend could be scary, but Kelsey still found herself rushing to Robin's side after all these years.

Robin's house looked unassuming. The plain white siding and slat gray roof matched the style of the rest of the sunny neighborhood's buildings. The uncut lawn looked a mess next to the meticulously trimmed grass on either side of the property. Robin cared very little for yard work. A single plant placed to the right of the sidewalk just in front of the living room window seemed healthy, though Kelsey could not say for certain. The palm tree-like plant had remained as tall as her since Robin acquired it several years ago. Its dark purple trunk possessed a rubbery texture and its broad leaves were dark red as always. Its leaves rattled softly in greeting as Kelsey passed.

Kelsey paused at the doorstep to check her outfit over, evening out her sleeves. She pressed the doorbell, the harsh electronic buzz didn't sound. Robin hated the distinct sound of the buzzer and still hadn't fixed it since it mysteriously exploded one night. Kelsey knocked on the door. She waited a moment, and then knocked harder when her friend didn't appear.

"Hello? Robin, it's Kelsey!"

Her fist rapped against the wood and she called out again to no avail. Grabbing the doorknob, it turned and opened. Since Robin was expecting her, she let herself in.

She entered the dark hallway, closing the door behind her. She sighed, grateful to be out of the hot sun. The living room or library as Robin preferred to call it stood to her right, sunlight streamed in through the front window, casting a bright triangle on the tricolor carpet. The dining room on her opposite side held no table; instead piles of boxes lined its corners. Anything their owner hadn't cared to dig out after she moved or that she forgot about seemed to wind up sitting abandoned in one of those boxes. In front of her was the hall leading to the kitchen and a staircase leading upstairs.

"Robin! Where are you? I'm starving and could really use some lunch!" Kelsey shouted. Robin tended to lose track of time and ignored any schedules that weren't her own. Some experiment had probably absorbed her attention and caused her to forget about their plans for the evening.

Thunk!

Kelsey glanced up the stairs. Another wooden thud followed the first. She started up the steps, grumbling as she went. "You better be ready to go. I don't want to wait for you to put your face on."