Chapter 13

"You are my one and only. And you can wrap your fingers around my thumb and hold me tight.
And you'll be alright."
~Ed Sheehan, Small Bump
~~~~~~~~~~

"What happened to that Oscar kid?" Mom asked making her avocado toast with eggs on top of the bread.

I hate avocados.

"What do you mean?" I asked confused, packing my bag with some pencils since all of mine are out of their eraser. I mean, I've been meaning to buy some more eraser pencils but I didn't have the time.

What do you even call an eraser pencil?

"It's been a little more than a week since you've asked if you could hang out with him. Did something happen?" She asked leaning on the counter of the kitchen that outlooked into the living room.

I haven't really spoken to Oscar since the whole cafe incident, him just wanting to be let into my storm of a world.

But I've talked to Dad, they don't really know what's wrong with him and since the observation came back as nothing, they've sent him home.

They said that it could be something with his liver or something.

Just thinking about the vague details makes me want to sit in a corner and cry.

But obviously I can't do that, so here I am, hating on avocados.

Stupid, stupid avocados.

"Nope, Nothing. I'm going to school." I said dismissing the topic and started to walk out of the house. Mom grabbed my arm and turned me around.

Needles pricked my arm, a flinch ran through me causing my mother to pull her hand away from me. Her eyes looked weary and sad.

"You looked happy when you were talking to him, now you're really distant. You haven't even said goodbye to Freddie like you always used to do." Mom pointed out turning to Freddie who was laying on the sofa.

He's a lot bigger now.

"Bye Freddie." I said walking over to him and kissing his face. Freddie wagged his tail but stopped when I walked away.

His face was sad and he was slightly whining.

"See? Even Freddie knows something happened with you guys." Mom said with a tired smile. "That's all I'm saying. But if you insist nothing-"

"It's just-" I'm not sure if I can trust him, I want to but I can't. She'll ask why I can't trust him and that'll leave me in an awkward phase between it'd be really useful for her to know but I'm not ready for her opinion of me to change, "-nothing, I'm going to make up with him today. I just haven't really known what to talk to him about."

"Okay, that's good." Mom said cautiously, probably not believing a word I'm saying. "Speaking of which, I feel like something really has happened. I don't know but you've change. I think it may just be puberty but I don't know."

Breathe. Just take a breath in. Breathe. Just take a breath out.

"I-I have to go mom." I said walking out of the house about ten minutes late.

Breathe.

Breathe.

Why the hell can't I breathe?!

"Hey!" Oscar said, his deep voice awakening me. When did he get there? How do I look? "What's wrong?"

Is my hair okay?

"What?" I asked feeling like I just ran a marathon.

"You're crying, what happened? Is there anything I can do?" He asked keeping his distance from me.