Chapter 8

The Player Bet8

READ AUTHORS NOTE.

-----CHAPTER 8-------

I heard a rapid knocking on my door as I laid in my bed attempting to get my blush under control. I had walked in on Blake Richards almost naked. I pressed my palms against my cheeks as I went to the door, trying to regain my composure. I kept one hand on my face as I opened the door, revealing my father about to knock on the door again.

"What is it?" I asked, my breath coming in rapid paces. I couldn't help but seeing images of Blake standing there, wet hair and flushed cheeks, clad in only a towel. Stop Alyssa, I told myself angrily.

"We're going out for dinner with the Richards," he told me and I pulled my hand off my face. Blake still was stuck in my mind. I didn't see how Blake and his mother were related. Her golden hair and smoldering green eyes, his dark hair and extraordinarily colored eyes. His eyes had some green in them though. Penelope didn't resemble my dad quite well either, him being six foot four with ivory black hair and dark eyes. It was weird to think they were cousins. It's a small world. Wait.

"Dad, is Blake my second cousin?" I asked, my heart picking up pace as I spoke those dreaded words. If he was, everything that was happening right now, whatever it was, would be completely ruined. Not to mention I wouldn't go through with the bet, which would mean I would lose. Him being my cousin crossed the line.

My dad sighed, his eyes softening as he grabbed my hand and bright me into my room where he seated me on the bed. I stared up in confusion at him as he paced back and forth, rubbing his hands on his face like he always did to relieve his stress.

"Are you sure you want to know?" he asked me, staring intently at me with his dark eyes that were filled with both disgust and hurt. He sat down next to me and took a deep breath.

"Well you know how, Mary, was," he started, struggling to say my mothers name. I nodded sympathetically at the hurt look on his face. "She was having affairs a while before you were born." I swallowed a lump in my throat and took a breath I hadn't known I'd been holding. My dad, might not have been my dad. My mind whirled in confusion and I felt dizzy. How?

"Do you know for sure if someone else was my...father?" I asked, my voice shaking as I frowned. My mother was such a disappointment to our family.

"Yes. Your father wasn't me," he struggled to say the words, a pained expression on his face. I choked out a sob and tears started to flow uncontrollably. How could she do this to her family? No. She was no longer my mother. I had despised her for so long, but it now blew out of proportion into full out hatred.

"Alyssa," my dad spoke softly, making me look up at him. "You will always be my daughter. I raised you, not that strange man, okay?" I nodded and fell into his embrace for a few minutes, finally pulling away and wiping my face.

"We should go. The Richards are probably waiting," I told him and he nodded, standing up and leaving the room. I checked the mirror and washed my face of the makeup I had on before which had smeared in stains down my cheeks. I re-applied my mascara and eyeliner before marching down the stairs to be greeted by a fully dressed Blake. His mother was standing behind him, indulged in a conversation with my dad.

"I see you put some clothes on," I said to Blake, which made him let out a chuckle and smirk at me.

"Much to your displeasure," he added, throwing in a breathtaking smile.

"Blake Richards knows a word with more than five characters!" I gasped in fake awe. He rolled his eyes then stopped to think.

"At the risk of being insulted further, what do you mean by characters?" he asked me, acting as if the word 'characters' was somehow foreign to him.