Z A R A

It was almost midnight when I sat in my room alone. Usually by this time, everyone would be in bed. But after all that happened today, I think both abba and ma told everyone to not come to me. I felt good because I didn't feel like being bothered by anyone anyways.

I could hear whispers of my parents, Rahaan and also Zaina from the living room. Sameer and Tahira are probably out to sleep by now. I tried to strain my ears and listen to what they were speaking about and the only thing I really heard was "leave her alone until she figures all she did wrong". The worst part was that those words were spoken by abba's voice.

I was sitting on the bed, hugging my legs with my chin propped on my knees. Today was a horrible day. Abba blames me for everything wrong that happens and it sometimes seems like that every other member of the family agrees. Do they not know better?

The person I blame is actually Razia. She is the only who ruined all. She is the reason all this even happened.

I hated myself for this, but I couldn't help wanting Ameera's words come real. I wanted Rainwater Valley to be attacked. Even though I loved this place dearly and think of it as the safest, I wanted something to happen. The only thing is that Ameera said they would be here in about it a week. So this is what I did.

I got out my prayer mat and placed it northwest towards the wall. Raising my hand up to pray, I started asking the One for something that no one would want to ask for.

I asked for those attackers from the city to come, today.

Because that would give me a reason to run.

It will be a sign to show that what I am doing is right.

Just as I put my fingers on my left eyes then right, on my lips then put in front of me to pray, I heard a somewhat loud noise from outside.

     It made me jump and I didn't realize when my hands broke off of the praying position. I looked around the room to see where it came from. My heart beats got a slight faster. What just happened?

    Only a fraction of a second later, I heard Rahaan's voice, yelling out loud.

     "Everyone, get into the rooms!"

     I heard large and loud footsteps. My body instantly put me up to my feet. The only question that proposed itself up in my mind was what was happening?

     I took off my headscarf and folded the prayer mat. The door opened quickly and ma came inside.

     "Zara, start packing some of our clothes and valuable items into our bags," her tone showed concern. Her voice was filled with fear.

    I went up to her and lightly placed my arms on her shoulders. "What happened, ma?"

     "No time, Zara. Do what she says," Zaina came in and told me. She ran to the closet and took out two of our bags in a jiffy.

      "Okay, but tell me what happened at least," I said getting hold of one of those bags and shoving clothes in them from the closet. Ma hurried out of the room, probably going to pack her and abba's belongings.

     "The..." Zaina couldn't speak. She didn't meet my eyes and looked down where she put Tahira and her clothes in.

     "Zaina, tell me," I demanded, continuing my work as I took my items into the brown bag I had in front of me.

     "The terrorists are here,"

     My hands stopped. I couldn't put anymore things into the bag.