A R Z A A N

I woke up to the rocking of the train, almost sending me off the seat. It was already narrow, and the seat was long, but not long enough for me to lay down properly. Even so, I did feel like the nap I just woke up from wasn't that bad.

My eyes opened and I yawned, covering my mouth with the back of my hand. For a second, I just laid down there, thinking about where this one train was leading me to. Who knows what was waiting for me, just a little while from now.

"Slept well?" A voice asked. Pressing down on the seat with my palm I got up and rubbed one of my eyes.

"Yeah," I said to the man. "How long was I off?"

"Not too long. I had fallen asleep too. Are you always up this early?" He asked. Grabbing his bag from under the seat.

"No," I shook my head and looked out the window. "Some life situations just steal these couple hours of peace,"

The man didn't say anything about that. "Well, my stop will be here in less than ten minutes,"

"Hmm," I said. I inched closer to the window and looked out at the horizon above the flat grass fields. Some light was leaking through it, but the sky was still a medium to a dark shade of blue.

I should go tell bhai. When this man leaves, he needs to come here quickly. Otherwise, we don't want someone else coming in.

Stepping out of the train, I strode through the tapered isle. I passed the compartments and read the numbers.

20...19...18...

On and on I went until I found compartment number sixteen. Knocking on it and waiting for about ten seconds, the door was opened by bhai. His eyes were sleepy and seemed bored.

"Arzaan," he said.

"Bhai, the man who is in my compartment will be leaving at the next stop," I said.

"Oh,"

"Yeah, come as soon as you can. We might have someone in the next stop coming on so better hurry up,"

"Okay," bhai's voice was thick.

I went back to compartment number twenty-one and sat down again.

The man with the thick scar was looking out the window this time, watching the train as it started to slow down. When he looked back at me, he said "Well, it was great talking to you,"

I gave a firm nod. "You too, sir,"

He took his huge bag and was about to walk out when I noticed something almost about to fall out of his pocket. Right when the man passed beside me, that thing fell out. And since my eyes were on it, I quickly caught it.

I looked at what was in my hands. A white cotton handkerchief. The fabric was smooth and so clean, it looked like it has never been used.

The man looked down at it, his eyebrows raised.

"Here you go," I said, handing it to him.

"Thank you, son," he gave his kind smile, one last time. "God bless you," and he left.

     I sat down and waited. My watched ticked and time ran. Bhai should be here any second. I wanted to go and bring him here soon because anyone else could just want to come and take the seat. But because of my laziness, I didn't feel like getting up.

     My eyes closed without warning, and my thoughts ran back to my house. Or the place I would have called my house just a day ago. I felt far from everyone, and nearer to myself. I missed aunt Naima, but I knew that she even thought it was best when she told bhai and me to leave. It was for the best. I tried to make myself believe that.