Z A R A

I tried hard to keep all the tears in. But I guess leaving the people you've called your family since birth is not the most comforting feeling. I ran and ran, until I reached Ameera's house.

      I hope she didn't leave. She said we would go together. We both promised each other.

       I saw her house, standing still amongst the loud people running around. I went and hid behind the house, hoping to not be caught by any neighbour of my own who knew me. I would be asked why I was here without parents if anyone saw me.

     I looked at Ameera's house. The back door was locked shut. I couldn't get it, but even if I could there would be no point. The lights seemed to be turned off and no noise came from the inside. Maybe they all left?

     Just as I thought that, I heard my name being whispered loudly.

     "Zara," it made my soul jump out of my body. I looked behind me where the call came from and saw my best friend hiding behind a tree near the back door. She peeped her head out from the side and looked at me.

"Ameera," I breathed out and then took slow steps towards her.

"Scared you didn't, I?" She grinned at me. I shook it off and went to her.

     "So you actually stayed back," I said when I approached her. "Just like you promised,"

     Ameera nodded as if I had two heads. "Of course. I mean as long as we made sure our families are alright," her voice broke at the end.

     I felt my eyes sting. Tears threatening to come out any second. "Yeah," I said. "Which bus did your family go on?" I asked.

     "This yellow one," Ameera said, her eyes turning red. "Yours?"

     "This light blue one," I said. She nodded and we both stood quietly for a second. I could still hear people running around loudly.

     "We will see them again someday," Ameera said, looking at me straight in the eye. "But I think it's best if we leave them. After all, some consider us a burden," she looked away.

      I knew what Ameera was talking about. Though she had said that she is escaping with me because she doesn't want to leave me alone, I know the real reason. Unlike how I have a mix of brothers and sisters, Ameera only has brothers. Three of them. And growing up, her own mother made her feel like she was useless. I knew that whether or not Ameera speaks up about it, a fire was ready to come. Escaping was a way to water it down.

     "We will," I said. If God wills.

     "We really need to go to the train station as soon as possible," Ameera said. "Those terrorists aren't going to spare us if they do get hold of us,"

     "Train station?" I asked. "What train station?"

       Ameera gave me a look. "How are you planning on getting to the city?"

      "Oh," I looked away and chuckled. "We're taking the train,"

      "Yeah," Ameera nodded firmly. "I think we both can get decent tickets by the money I have,"

     "Hmm," I thought. "One good thing though. The train station is on the other side of Rainwater Valley from where the terrorists are coming from. We just need to get away from our land and then the train station shouldn't be far,"

      Ameera nodded. "Let's cover ourselves up a little. We can't have our neighbours recognize us,"

       I didn't notice Ameera's bag until she placed it on the ground and opened it. Following her, I did the same and searched my bag for a scarf. I found one at the bottom and took out the long black fabric. Wrapping it lightly around my head, I closed my bag and took it on position again. Ameera had done the same with another scarf of hers. We were both ready to run.