Chapter 1

(April 22nd)

I woke up as the sun glared into my room.

"Come on y/n!" Charlie yelled

My sister was always a morning person.

I sit up and stretch my arms.

I hang my legs over the side of the bed and slowly stand.

Wobbling a bit, I walk over to the dresser and grab out a f/c shirt and some jeans.

I change and head downstairs, rubbing my eyes.

"Morning sweetie" My mum said with a smile

I wave and sit at the table, in front of a plate of waffles.

"Sleep well?" My dad asked

I nod as my arms aren't used to being alive enough to sign anything.

The waffles were delicious, and my eating, my hands were up to talking for me.

"So y/n" my mum said "anything interesting on today?"

'no not really' I sign

"Well I have something interesting to say" she said

"Mum" Charlie says from the window "Do we have new neighbours?"

"Yes" she said with a smile "that was what I was about to say"

'Who is it' I ask

"Its the Woods family" my dad said 

I get up and walk over to the window with Charlie, and look out.

I see two boys with their mum talking to Billy from across the street.

Both boys had brown hair and one was taller than the other.

I watch as Billys mum talks to them for a bit before leaving.

The taller boy walks inside with a box and the shorter boy started talking to his mum with an angry look on his face.

They soon walk inside and Charlie and I come away from the window.

"Come on you two, off to school" Mum said

I grab my bag and quickly brush my teeth before we head out the door and to the bus stop.

We wait there for the bus to come when Randy, Keith and Troy.

Bullies.

I keep my head down. Charlie notices this and stands in front of me.

"Come on nerds" Randy yelled "Bring out you bus fee" He held out his hand, expecting money, as usual.

"We don't have time for this Randy" Charlie spat

"Oh I think you do" Randy replied with a smirk

Troy and Keith suddenly pulled out knives from their pockets and pointed them at us.

I stumble back in shock and shove my hand in my pocket, pulling out $5 and holding out my hand to Randy.

"See" he says glaring at Charlie as he pushes past her and walks over to me "No words knows what I want"

He snatches the money out of my hands and walks up to Charlie. He holds out his hand again.

"Now lets try this again" he said "Bus fee!"

I tug at Charlies shirt and she turns to me.

I nod at her and she sighs. "Fine Randy" She spits before pulling $5 out of her pocket and giving it to him.

"Pleasure doing business with you" He said as he walked to all the other kids at the buss stop and takes their money

I tap Charlie on the shoulder and she turns to me. 'Charlie what the hell' I sign

"I know" she says "their fricken crazy"

The rest of the day went as normal.

Charlie went to hang out with her friends and I sat at the back of the class by myself.

I didn't care. I liked being alone. It means people wont talk to me and I wont have to answer.

Recess and lunch, I usually spent In the bathroom. I would sit behind the door and eat my lunch before building up the courage to get up and walk to the library, where I would sit in the darkest corner, listening to music and watching people walk past.

The day went

When school ended, I met up with Charlie and we walked to the bus stop where the bus took us home.

We talked a bit, but after a while I stoped answering like always.

Charlie understood that it was hard being a mute and usually left me alone when I didn't want to talk.

We got home and mum had already put dinner on the table.

"Yum" Charlie said as she sniffed the air "I love chicken"

I put my bag in my room and rushed down to dinner.

Nothing interesting happened at dinner.

After dinner I had a shower and got changed into my pyjamas.

I always loved night time. It was so dark and I felt like I was finally alone. The silence was music to my ears as I lay on my soft pillow and slowly drift off to sleep.