1.9

|| shells ||

The next morning, Bella was awakened by the slamming of a car door, immediately making her spring up from where she had collapsed on Calum's front porch.

She rushed over to Stanley, stepping out of the way as Calum suddenly pushed her aside, rushing into his house.

She followed him to the backyard confusedly, not understanding one bit of the current situation.

She hurried her pace as she heard a crash and a yell - both obviously from Calum.

"What the hell are you doing?" Bella gasped in horror as she saw Calum wreck his mural. He had worked so hard on it and put so much of his heart into this present for his mother that the fact he was destroying it all left her absolutely speechless.

Calum stopped and turned to Bella, tears running down his angry face. "I'm done with this piece of shit."

He was seething, and Bella didn't understand why. He seemed perfectly fine the night before.

"Calum!" She yelled, trying desperately to catch his attention. "What's gotten into you?"

"My mom fucking died, that's what!" Calum yelled, pulling more chunks off of the wall.

Bella's face immediately softened. "Cal, I'm so sorry-"

"Don't even," He scoffed. "I was possibly having the worst night of my life, and you were off with Luke. I needed someone Bella! You just left me for him!"

"That's not true." Bella defended, her voice cracking.

"Oh yeah?" Calum questioned as he took long strides towards Bella. "You wouldn't have come if I had called you, you were too busy sucking face with him."

Bella's entire face paled and she swore she felt her heart stop beating for a moment. "How did you find out?"

"Luke's cousin volunteers with me at the hospital and he went to the barbecue before his shift last night. He saw everything, Bella."

"Obviously not everything!" Bella fumed. "I fucking pushed him away, he didn't kiss me. How could you think that I would cheat on you?"

"You're right, how could you cheat if we're not even together!"

Bella shut her mouth, trying to stop herself from saying anything she would regret. "I'm honestly sorry, Calum. But I would never do that to you."

"That's not the important thing!" Calum laughed coldly, staring at the bright sky. "The point is that my mom isn't here anymore, I lost her. And on the same fucking day, the girl I love nearly kissed somebody else."

"You love me?" Bella asked breathily.

"Of course I do!" Calum yelled. "How couldn't I love you, you're the best thing that's every happened to me, Bel. You're everything I need and more."

Bella stared at the ground, not sure how to respond.

Calum's eyes began to fill with tears of sadness this time, not anger. "You don't love me, do you?" He whispered.

Bella snapped her head up, her wide eyes meeting his tear-filled ones. "No no-"

"I knew it!" Calum cried, the tears overtaking the entirety of his face. "I should've spent more time on my mom's project, not with you. She could have still been here!"

"Oh so you regret this now?" Bella yelled back at him.

"A little bit, yeah," Calum ran his hands through his hair harshly. "I had a grip on everything before you, I knew love was stupid, and I was fine on my own."

"It's not stupid, Cal. It just makes people do stupid things!" Bella argued, stepping over towards Calum.

He stepped away from her. "Bullshit!"

"I do love you, Cal! I love you with all of my heart. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you, but there's nothing I can do about it now, is there? I know, I fucked up, but I was calling you and calling you. All through last night you were in my mind, not Luke. I pushed him away when he tried to kiss me because he's not the one I love. You are. I made him take me to your house as soon as he tried something on me, and I fucking fell asleep on your porch waiting for you. I was worried sick!" Bella furiously yelled.

Calum stayed silent. "Just go."

"No." Bella warily said, standing up straighter and crossing her arms.

"Bella," Calum spoke through gritted teeth. "Go home."

"You know what? Fine, I'll go. I'll go if you want me to, but first-"

"Bella!" Calum cried. "You're hurting me more by standing here yelling at me when I've done nothing, don't you see that?"

She shut her mouth. "I love you." She whispered.

"Go." Calum croaked, causing Bella's heart to break.

"If it's what you want, I'll go." Bella whispered, turning on her heels and walking out his front door, slamming it behind her.

As soon as she was gone, Calum collapsed on the ground, sobbing profusely into his hands as he sat on the grass in his backyard.

His mother was all he had left, she was his rock. He and Bella had their ups and downs, but Calum always new he could run to his mother and she would be waiting with open arms.

He was angry at himself for being so distracted by Bella, all he had was one job. He wasn't supposed to fall in love, he was supposed to bring his mother home to him.

That damned beach started all of his heartbreak.

Those stupid shells began the collapse that led to the worst night of his life.

••• ••• ••• •••

wow i fucking hate myself for this im so sorry

this is too short but i have reception so why the fUCK NOT

ALso, if you like my shitty writing and annoying notes, pretty please check out my new luke fic, it's gojng to start as soon as i finish shells, probably in a week or less

I LOVE YOU ALL IM SO CLOSE TO 1.7K THATS FUCKING 1000 READS IN FOUR DAYS WHAT THE HELL IS THIS