2

Of course, Connor was right about the android in the house. He told us what he considered happened which lined up with the evidence. The man, Carlos Ortiz, attacked the android, so it protected itself. And in the end, killed the man. You wouldn't say he deserved it... But...

In the end, Connor found the deviant in the attic. You and Hank were both confused as to why the android stayed in the house instead of fleeing. It wasn't a very smart plan.

You and Hank brought the deviant back to the station for interrogating.

12:41 am

"Why'd you kill him? What happened before you took that knife?" The Lieutenant asks the deviant. Nothing.

Hank impatiently shakes his head. "How long were you in the attic?" Silence.

He sits still for a moment. "Why didn't you even try to run away?" It was like talking to a brick wall.

The Lieutenant clicks in the android's face but to no avail. Suddenly banging his hands on the table, he yells at the deviant. "Say something, goddammit!"

He laughs humourlessly. "Fuck it. I'm out of here." He shakes his head and leaves the room.

You drop your head down and run your hands over your face, sighing. You were tired and annoyed. The deviant wasn't keen on talking and decided to just sit silently in its chair.

"This is useless." You scoff and sit back in your chair.

"We're wasting our time interrogating a machine, we're getting nothing out of it!" Hank plops down in his chair, defeated.

"You could always try ruffing it up a little... After all, it's not human." Gavin Reed, the most annoying person on planet earth, suggests. You simply roll your eyes. Androids don't feel pain. What a dumbass.

"Androids don't feel pain," Connor informs him, saying your exact thoughts. "You would only damage it. And that wouldn't make it talk."

You look at the deviant who is seated in the interrogation room. He is looking down at his hands, barely moving at all. He looked... Frightened. But not enough to talk.

You catch yourself calling it a 'he'. When did you start doing that?

"Deviants also have the tendency to self-destruct when they're in stressful situations." Connor finishes his statement.

"Okay smartass," Reed cuts Connor off. "What should we do then?"

Connor brings his questioning eyes from Reed to you and Hank. "I could try questioning it..." He proposes.

Gavin laughs obnoxiously like to say 'oh yeah, sure'. He then waves Connor off and goes back to his original position, leaning against the wall.

"What do we have to lose? Go ahead, the suspect's all yours." You give your permission to the android. Hank nods his permission also. With that, Connor enters the interrogation room.

He opens the folder sitting on the table and inspects the photographs of Carlos Ortiz' body. After a few moments, he closes the folder again and takes a seat to begin questioning the deviant.

Connor sits for a second, just staring at the android, analyzing it. Then he begins.

"I detect an instability in your program..." He tilts his head. "It can trigger an unpleasant feeling, like fear in humans." His voice and body language are calm. You wonder if he is taking the correct approach to the situation. Does he really know what he is doing? The deviant does not reply, no surprise there.

Without breaking eye contact, Connor drags the folder in front of the android. He slowly opens the cover and slides out the photographs. "You recognise him?" His voice slightly menacing. The android still is yet to move.