13

(Please read the end of chapter notes <3!!!!)

Regret.

Instant regret is what you felt. Connor had left your apartment mere moments ago and you just couldn't shake the bad feeling that washed over you like a tidal wave.

It killed you not knowing what exactly he was walking into.

But, what could you do at this moment? It was impossible to go with him... A human among deviant androids? You hated to think it, but who knows what they could be capable of? You mulled it over, and working at the Detroit police department at the moment kind of gave androids a bad rep... You really only ever saw the worst of the bunch. And well, so did everyone else. You shouldn't blame yourself for assuming the worst in these times, it was better to be safe than sorry.

Well, besides Connor of course. You stopped to remind yourself that, despite what had just occurred in your living room, you really couldn't compare deviant androids to Connor. He is known as the deviant hunter, which is the exact opposite of that of the androids residing in Jericho... Right? Yes, of course, you reassured yourself.

Despite this, your leg continues to bounce up and down restlessly. Thoughts of Connor, the only person you've ever actually poured your whole heart out to, race through your mind. You nibble on the edge of your thumbnail, staring straight forward at the tv situated on the wall. The longer you think, the harder it is to keep your anxiety at bay and your breathing calm. Why was this happening to you? You couldn't stay seated for a moment longer.

You jumped up and stumble into your bathroom. It hadn't taken that long, considering your apartment is quite small and very basic. You shuffle over to the sink and turn the squeaky tap, once, then twice. Closing your eyes, you let your hands cup the cold water and splash your face. You lean onto the edge of the sink and let out a shaky breath. Water drips off the low points of your face and onto the shiny white of the basin below. You open your eyes and watch the tiny trail that they leave behind them. You feel heavy and tired but alert with anxiety at the same time.

Unconsciously, your eyes focus on the faded 'C' on the cold tap, and your thoughts drift to Connor again. You let out an annoyed sigh and a low grumble that could rival Hank's as you make your way back to your living room. The words 'stupid brain' was only heard by the four walls that surround you.

∆∆∆

You knew it was stupid. So, so incredibly stupid. Of course, you knew, you'd only been thinking it over for the last half an hour. Pulling your jacket tighter around yourself, you sneak your way back into the precinct. You had no idea whether or not Reed would still be there, or if he or the ass-wipe FBI agents would still be around, but you had to look through the evidence to find Jericho. It was a long shot, but you really couldn't help it. After having a back-and-forth argument with yourself for a solid twenty minutes, you shut the only part of your brain that had any semblance of reason and common sense out and left your apartment. It was a cold night in November, yet here you are, standing mere meters away from the entrance of the precinct.

You had texted Hank, much to his dismay, to come back to the precinct and help you evaluate the evidence. Or at least to help sneak you in... You were both in the shit, however, and you had no idea if either of you would ever be allowed back through those doors. But it was late, and you knew only a select few would still remain at their desks for work, the rest most likely having retired back to their homes.

Yet you were here because, unlike those people, you did not have a family to go home to.

"Damn, that was depressing." You snicker to yourself as you stand alone on the pavement. Well, that's what you thought, at least.