chapter 5: Sweet presents are made of these

Mini-summery-
In which Adrien gets a counselor from Plagg
-------------------------------
The clock was nearing 10pm when Adrien finally stepped inside his apartment. The today's photo shooting had taken hours and hours, the slight annoyance growing bigger and bigger inside Adrien by each passing hour. His father had made yet another huge deal with a famous photographer, who wanted to have Adrien featured in his art exhibition – not exactly what Adrien usually did but when the photographer was a big name, his father saw this as an opportunity to brand his own name. Adrien felt himself merely as a tool for his father, but somehow he didn’t find any strength to resist him.

If it was possible, Adrien would have moved away from France, or even away from Paris, but he was tied there because of his kwami. Plagg tried to soothe him by saying that as soon as they caught Hawkmoth there was a change for him to go somewhere else, but Plagg had also underlined that both Ladybug and Chat Noir were just halves of the same coin and they needed each other to get the best out of their powers.  Thus it wasn’t possible for Adrien to run away his responsibilities as Chat Noir or his connection to Ladybug. Sometimes his life felt heavy, like today.

After taking the subway and getting something to eat on the way home he was starting to feel better, but one thing kept nagging in the back of his head.

Marinette.

Somehow Ladybug had become even more interesting and fascinating by the fact she was no one else but the sweet, precious ex-classmate Marinette. To be honest he had been completely taken back by that fact, but after he had gotten some time to digest it all, Adrien started to see how it all made a clear sense. Or at least it felt like that to him. He was a bit sad to see that Marinette was still kind of afraid of him, so very nervous – he was sure she had planned to jump into the Seine when she had seen him offering his arm for her – but Adrien couldn’t really come up with any fast solution to make Marinette more relaxed around him. He hoped the time would help, if they just spend time more together maybe Marinette would see there was no reason to be so timid around him, but life of Adrien Agreste was busy as hell and time was something he hadn’t got to spare.

Adrien smiled at himself when he remembered the day he had visited Marinette’s room as Chat Noir and seen all his posters plastered around the walls. He had thought it wasn’t anything unusual, so many other girls in whole France had his pictures stored somewhere as their precious items, but when Marinette had uttered that she had been in love with him for the past five years, Adrien had felt how his skin got both hot and cold at the same time. His jingle bell had felt heavier than usual and he had had hard time to keep his poker face on and not to blush up to his kitty ears. The woman he loved, Ladybug, was in love with him, but not as Ladybug but Marinette. Right at that time Adrien hadn’t cared about the details, but then he had started to ponder if Marinette could love him as he was – both Adrien and Chat Noir. The wingman thing started to feel wrong, but as Adrien didn’t know how he had even come up with that idea, it was difficult for him also to figure out how to stop it. Besides, it was right now his ticket to see Marinette more. Something he had started to like a lot.

Looking at Plagg stuffing his face with a slice of camembert he knelt down to his kwami’s side.

“Plagg, I want to visit her today,” he said with a stern voice.

“I knew you’d say that, so that’s why I’m eating now,” Plagg grunted back, his mouth full of cheese.

He let Plagg to finish his long waited meal before asking the transformation from him. Adrien was pleased that Plagg wasn’t complaining about these unnecessary transformations like he had expected him to do.