Chapter 10: hello darkness my old friend

Marinette's breath was shallow as she pushed herself up from the floor, her legs and arms shaking like leaves in a wind. She tried to hold her phone and walk quickly upstairs to wait for him, wait for Chat Noir or Adrien, like she had promised, despite of all the shakiness which ran through her violently. She had to take support from the hand trail, breath becoming small hiccups. In her mind Marinette told herself she had to keep her together now, she couldn't have a meltdown until everyone was safe, until this scary sudden situation was under control, but she couldn't stop the big tears rolling down on her cheeks as a stream, her vision getting blurrier by every step.

It took her a while to stumble up to the rooftop's door and when she got there, she sank on the floor, back against the wall. She wanted to wail out loud but she couldn't. Not now. It was too dangerous. She had to pull her inner Ladybug out for now. She should wait for him, as much as Marinette wanted to run out and never return.

This was too much.

This wasn't anything she had hoped, dreamed or even expected to happen.

It felt like a nightmare.

Despite of Chat's wishes Marinette left her phone's light on. It made her feel a bit better than the complete darkness around her.

"Calm down, Marinette," she spoke to herself with a shaky and thin whisper, shivering. "Breath. Stop crying. Breath."

Her stream of tears didn't stop despite of her commands.

Her breathing didn't get as steady as she had hoped either.

Sinking her head against her knees Marinette let out a sob, hugging her legs.

This was a true nightmare.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Chat Noir managed to solve the situation quick, as it turned out to be a gang of some underground group after the famous photographer due the debt he owed for the gang and the whole debt deal would later lead into big headers on all newspapers. The gunshots had been nothing but the bullies' mock play to scare the people inside, gallery's ceiling now full of holes from the shots. Luckily no one was hurt and when the group wasn't that professional from Chat's opinion he had no problem to kick their asses. He made sure the criminals were beaten up unconscious before he helped everyone outside where the police were already waiting. He learned that his father had left the building twenty minutes before the gang had broken in, so there was no need to worry about him. What he did worry was Marinette. He excused himself and ran back inside, telling he was going to check out if everyone had gotten out.

While dashing inside Chat Noir hated himself. He was worried, anxious and horribly afraid to confront Marinette now. His plans for revealing his identity had back wired in the worst possible way and he wondered if he had acted irrationally based on fear of his father's and Marinette's safety. Should they have just waited inside the staircase with Marinette and let police handle everything? Would it have led to a hostage situation between the criminals and polices, if he hadn't intervened? Would it have caused casualties, if he didn't stop the act before it really even got started?

Running like having a fire under his leather tail Chat kicked the staircase's door open and hurried up, his heart becoming colder and colder the higher he got.

Finally, he made it to Marinette. She was hugging her knees, head pressed against them in the corner next to the door. She was awfully quiet, trembling visibly. Her phone laid next to her, illuminating the area brightly.

"Ma—Marinette," he called her quietly, feeling guilty and awkward. She lifted her head up slowly, eyes full with tears and mascara running down on her cheeks. It pierced Chat's heart to see her like that, to know he was the reason for her tears.