Chapter 4

Three days had passed since her cousin's death, and Eowyn stood outside the doors of Meduseld, watching the grass of the plains roll in the raging winds.

She had watched as her dear friend, Anneth, sank down in her grief until no words would pass her lips, unless it be the smallest of commands to any who assisted her in the healing house. The light that had once been in her eyes was gone, now replaced by a dull stare that saddened the Shieldmaiden.

Eowyn felt her own pain, of course; Theodred had been dear to her as well. Now with Eomer banished, her hope was fast fading; her one advantage was living in the knowledge that at least he was most likely still alive. For Anneth, there was no such hope. She had watched as the two grew closer over the years, and she knew that their bond had been deep. She prayed that a way would be found to help revive Anneth, for she wouldn't last long if she continued as she was now.

Movement on the plains caught her gaze, and she spotted five riders approaching the gates of Edoras. They bore no standard, but it was hard for her to tell if the were Rohirs or not. One rider in particular stood out, for he was all in white, as was his mount.

When the gate wardens allowed them entry, Eowyn hurried back into the Hall, alerting Hama of the visitors.

"Fetch Anneth," Gamling, who had been with Hama, ordered. "They may require a healer. These days, most do."

Eowyn nodded and rushed out of the Hall, hoping this was the answer the gods gave her prayers.

~.~

Anneth was rinsing out the last of her mixing bowls, her mind far away, when Eowyn burst into the room, nearly causing her to drop the bowl.

"Anneth! You're needed at Meduseld!" She said, and Anneth's interest was piqued.

"What for?" There hadn't been need for a healer since-

"There's visitors to Edoras. Your father thinks they may require a healer," Eowyn replied, and the Shieldmaiden saw Anneth's countenance change immediately.

"I'll be there in just a moment. I need to gather some supplies first," she said, swiftly retrieving a satchel and grabbing various herbs and tools to put inside it. With a soft smile, Eowyn left and returned to the Hall to see who these newcomers were.

~.~

When Anneth made it to the Golden Hall, no words could describe the shock that came over her upon entering the throne room.

Several men, Grima's by the look of them, lay on the floor, some passed out, others clutching at various wounds. It seemed her father had been right in her being there; despite her loathing of the Worm and all who stood by him, she would heal these men, as was a healer's charge.

Greater still was her shock at seeing the occupants of the room. Not a stones throw away there stood one of the fairest beings Anneth had ever seen; of course, having never seen an elf in her lifetime, there were few others who could compare. But to see an actual elf! Anneth was burning with anticipation just to talk to him and see what she could learn from him.

Further away, pinning Grima himself down, was a red-bearded dwarf. Beyond him was a woman, who stood clutching her left shoulder tightly to her chest. Anneth's trained eyes also quickly noted she was favoring her right leg, and bloodstained bandages were wrapped around her thigh. She would be the first Anneth treated, unless there were wounds more serious in the party.

To her left, she saw Eowyn being held back by a dark haired man, though he soon released her. Beside him was another man, barely recognizable beneath the dirt and the bloodstained clothes.