Chapter 13

The days passed swiftly in the Houses of Healing, and before she could even catch her breath, Anneth was helping Boromir buckle his armor as the men - and Emryn - rode to the Black Gates.

Boromir could see the tension in her shoulders, the tightness in her eyes. She fastened his bracers with quick movements, her fingers hovering over them for a moment longer, as if she wished time would pass slower.

"All will be well, dear Anneth," he said reassuringly, and the healer's hands halted their movements.

"How can you say that, Boromir? You ride to certain death," she said, her voicing breaking. "I lost Theodred, Theoden King, I almost lost Eowyn, and now I will lose the rest of you." The news of the King's death had left her in tears, and it hadn't been until Eowyn awoke that she was able to stop them.

Boromir placed his hand under her chin and lifted her eyes to his. "Frodo and Sam are two of the bravest creatures I have ever met, and I have faith that they will not fail us. And even if I should fall, then I will have fallen defending my people, my friends, and the woman I love. That is well worth my life and more."

Anneth looked up at the man before her in awe; never had she met a soul more noble and caring, certainly not one who had been through what he had. Her heart ached for him, that he couldn't yet have the peace he deserved.

Shouts came from outside the door, and Boromir straightened. "It is time."

"Wait," Anneth said, hurrying over to where her pack lay on his bed. "I made this for you. It's tradition for women to give it to their, well to their husbands, for luck, but I thought you could use all the luck you could get." Her cheeks were violently red, and Anneth almost tripped when she saw the wide smile Boromir was giving her.

"I would be honored, dear Anneth," he said, extending his shield arm for her to tie the bracelet around his wrist. It was woven from leather and horsehair, and Anneth tucked it under his bracer when she finished tying it on.

"Watch over my brother for me," he said, tucking a lock of her hair behind her ear.

"I don't think I'll need to do much watching myself," she said wryly, thinking of the amount of time Faramir had been spending with a certain Shieldmaiden. "You come back to me, Boromir."

"I will do all in my power to return to you, my love," he said, and it was only a moment before his lips met hers in an urgent kiss, filled with promise and fear. Anneth clung to him, praying he wouldn't have to leave, that this war would just be over; but her prayers were unanswered as they broke apart.

"I love you," she told him as he belted his sword on and grabbed his shield. She hoped it wouldn't be the last time she told him those words.

"And I, you," he said in reply, pressing a kiss to her brow before leaving to join his men. Anneth watched him go, and for what felt like the hundredth time since this war had started, she began to cry.

~.~

"I should be with them," Gamling said guiltily.

"Absolutely not. You can barely use your left arm," Anneth said, looking at the large bandage wrapped around his forearm. "They do not scorn you for staying, Father, nor do our ancestors."

Gamling huffed and sat down on the chair. As he did so, a knock came from the door.

"Come in," Anneth said, and Faramir entered the room.

"My Lord Steward," Gamling said in greeting.

"Good morning Lady Anneth, Captain Gamling," he said, and briefly looked around the room before turning back to Anneth. "Do you know where the Lady Eowyn is?"

Anneth held back a smirk. Eowyn had left her room to get a better view of the men riding out. The interest Faramir had taken in Eowyn seemed to be returned, for she would often talk about him to Anneth, at least in the brief moments she wasn't with him. Anneth was happy for her friend, especially after hearing about what had happened with Aragorn; it seemed everyone was finding ways to stay optimistic in the face of this darkness.

"She said she was going to the courtyard here," Anneth replied, and Faramir nodded and headed for the door. "It's rather cool out, and I don't think she brought a cloak," she called after him, and he turned to give her a thankful smile before leaving the father and daughter again.

"What was that about?" Gamling asked, and Anneth chuckled.

"Nothing for you to worry about, Father," she replied.

"What about Lord Boromir? Is that something I should worry about?" He asked, but his tone was light and he had a smirk on his face.

"I made him a bracelet," Anneth said, and Gamling's smirk disappeared immediately.

"You- you-" He sputtered, and Anneth laughed at his shocked expression.

"He's an honorable man, Father," she said, walking over to lay her hand on his shoulder.

Gamling huffed. "No man will be good enough for you."

"Well, if you want grandchildren, you're going to have to make an exception." Anneth kissed her sputtering father on the head and left to continue healing the remaining soldiers.

"Grandchildren," Gamling said to himself, a smile breaking out across his face. "Maybe Lord Boromir isn't so bad after all."