Chapter 8

"Lady Anneth, you are needed! Come quickly!"

The healer jerked awake, and saw Boromir standing at her doorway. He was staring at the wall across from him, and Anneth rushed to cover herself, blushing as she realized she was only wearing a thin shift. "What is the matter?"

"Pippin tried to look into the Palantir, and was in a fit when I came for you. Have you anything to calm him?" He asked, his eyes still fixed on the back wall.

"I do, I will bring it straight away," she replied. When Boromir didn't move, she coughed, and the Gondorian finally looked over at her. "I need you to leave so that I may get dressed Boromir." Oh I must look like a sight! I'll wager I'm as red as a poppy!

"Oh- ah-  forgive me, I'll just-" he stammered, before hastily turning around and leaving.

Anneth dressed quickly, found the sleeping fraught she kept on hand, and splashed cold water on her face to try and rid the bright red infecting her cheeks. I cannot believe that just happened! Why didn't he just knock? As she made her way to the door, she couldn't help the smile that made its way onto her lips. Still, he was quite honorable, by keeping his eyes off of me.

As soon as she stepped outside, Boromir stepped forward and began guiding her hurriedly to Meduseld. After a moments silence he spoke.

"I apologize for entering your room without permission. It was completely inappropriate of me to do so," he said, and Anneth could hear the sincerity in his voice. The lines of his body were tense, and she almost laughed.

"You are already forgiven, Boromir. I was going to thank you for your behavior anyways; many more would have taken advantage of the situation, and you did not," she said. "Besides, I probably wouldn't have woken if you had knocked. The celebration exhausted me."

"Indeed," he began, but was interrupted by Legolas running out of the Golden Hall as they approached.

"Lady Anneth, I hope you have enough for two," the elf said, and Anneth nodded.

"Who else?" Boromir asked.

"Emryn, though it was not the Palantir. Come," Legolas said, leading them into the Hall.

~.~

As Boromir walked Anneth back to the healing house, a question came to Anneth's mind.
"Boromir, what is a Palantir? It is no plant or poison I have heard of before." 

"Nay, it is no plant. The Palantir are seeing stones that would allow their bearers to communicate with the others. There were seven, but many have been lost, but we now know of two. Saruman had one, which is now in the possession of Gandalf, and the other is in Gondor, in the possession of my father," he said, and was quiet for a moment before he continued. "But I wish it were not so."

"Why is that? Do all of the stones have a similar effect as this one did with Pippin?" Anneth couldn't imagine why anyone would use the stones if it left them in such a state.

"No, it requires a strong mind to be able to look into the Palantir. Pippin is simply too young and innocent to withstand the evil that resides in it. However, it has begun to drive my father mad. He spends hours with it, and refuses to share what he has learned from it. I fear he is succumbing to Sauron by using it."

As he spoke, Anneth took his hand in hers, offering comfort. She couldn't imagine how she would feel if her father used such a thing. She shuddered at the thought.

"I'm sorry you have to bear this," she said quietly, and Boromir squeezed her hand in return.

"And I am sorry for now imparting that knowledge onto you," he replied as they reached the door to the healing house.