Chapter 5

Anneth was all in a rush as the people made to move out, hurrying to pack as much of her healing supplies as her cart would allow. Theoden's order had come that morning, and Anneth couldn't say she was surprised. Helm's Deep had ensured the safety and success of the Rohirrim in the past, and she was sure it would again.

After checking around the room for anything else she thought she could possibly need, Anneth headed to the stables to fetch Gaeron, her coppery stallion. He was standing calmly in his stall, despite the chaos around him. Anneth smiled as she approached, quietly slipping him a carrot from her gardens.

"Maybe that's why you're so red, Gaeron. I must be feeding you too many carrots!" Gaeron simply bumped her shoulder with his nose, and Anneth led him out of the stall. His docile nature matched well with hers, and she was grateful for it in times like these; too many had come to her over the years because a horse got too excited.

As she began hooking Gaeron up to her cart, a familiar figure approached. "Have you any need of assistance, my lady?" Boromir asked, a pleasant expression on his face.

Anneth nodded. "Only if you promise to stop calling me 'Lady.' I am not even of noble birth."

"Many a time one who holds a title does little to deserve its meaning, and one who is without it does everything," Boromir said as he moved to help her tie the cart to the saddle. Again, Anneth noted an undercurrent of sadness in his tone, and his words from the day they had arrived came back to her.

"Boromir, is everything alright?" She asked gently, and the man looked troubled for but a moment before a smile returned to his face.

"Of course, Lady Anneth, why should I not be? The sun is high, the air is clear, and I stand in the presence of a fair maiden; a man could not be better than I in this moment," he replied warmly, and Anneth felt her cheeks redden.

"Mockery is rude, Boromir," she said, unsure of the feeling in her stomach. "And you must prepare to leave; you are to ride with Theoden at the front. You mustn't keep him waiting."

Boromir extended his hand and, once she had placed hers in it, kissed her knuckles, lingering a second longer than was customary. "I speak only the truth, Anneth, but if only to appease you I will take my leave. Perhaps I shall see you during the journey."

"Perhaps," she replied, her cheeks still as red as before. He left her then, and Anneth tightened the final strap before mounting Gaeron. At her gentle tap, he moved forward, taking her away from the place she called home.

As they passed out of the gate, Anneth's eyes were drawn to the newest mound lining the wall. Simbelmyne already covered it, and the torches had long been extinguished.

"Westu hal, Theodred," she said, and a single tear made its way down her cheek. "Westu hal."

~.~

The journey was uneventful, to say the least. There were several who came to her because they had received injuries during the trek, but aside from that Anneth's time was mostly spent deep in thought.

She had been visited several times by other riders. Eowyn had stopped by frequently during the early stages of travel, but Anneth later saw her walking alongside Aragorn, and she felt happy for her friend; hopefully Eowyn would be able to find happiness amongst the pain that surrounded them.

Emryn had also rode alongside her a couple of times, and the healer was able to learn some of the elvish methods of healing. The Dunedain also told her of the adventures of her past, which fascinated Anneth. How someone could have so much adventure in their life and still want more was beyond her.