Chapter 12

Anneth and the other healers worked tirelessly in the Healing Houses, stopping only for a bite of bread or stew when she couldn't put off the hunger any longer. The amount of men needing attention for outnumbered what she had at Helm's Deep, and she couldn't rest when there was still more to do.

"My Lady," a man said from behind her, and Anneth barely turned her head.

"A moment, please, I am almost done with this man's arm," she said, not noticing the wide eyes of her patient as he looked between her and the man.

"Of course," came his reply, and Anneth finished wrapping the bandages before turning to face the man.

The first thing she noticed was that his arm was in a sling, but aside from that there were no obvious injuries. It was his face, however, that caused her to step closer.

"My Lady, are you the one that led the Rohirric healers here?" He asked, and Anneth nodded. 

"Then please, allow me to express my thanks on behalf of Minas Tirith. I am-"

"Faramir," Anneth cut in, startling the Gondorian. He looked very much like his brother, if only a bit smaller, and his eyes were nearly identical to Boromir's.

"How did you know, Lady-?"

"Anneth, just Anneth. And I do believe we have quite a bit to talk about," she said with a smile.

~.~

Boromir rushed through the Healing Houses, cursing the crowds that were in his way. He had heard far to many rumors and tales on his way there, and he needed to find someone who could give him answers.

"Boromir!" A woman's voice called out, and the man winced when he heard it. Too many times had he been scolded by Ioreth in the past; he could only imagine what she would have in store for him today.

"How are you, Ioreth?"

"Busy," she replied shortly. "You'll find your answers down that hall, third room on the left."

Boromir glanced down the hall, but when he looked back to ask the healer what she meant, she was already gone. He walked over to the room she had pointed to, and he heard muffled voices through the door. Raising his hand, he knocked.

~.~

Anneth and Faramir has been talking for close to an hour when a knock finally came from the door.

"Come in," Faramir said, and Anneth's breath caught in her throat.

"Boromir!" She exclaimed, leaping from her chair and flying across the room to his arms. "They said you were alive but I never saw you come through! Where have you been?"

"I was helping organize the Rohirric encampment outside the walls. But what are your doing here? I thought you were supposed to return to Edoras."

"It's quite the tale," Faramir said, and Boromir finally seemed to notice his brother in the room.

"Faramir," was all he said before crushing his brother in a hug. "I feared the worst when I couldn't find you."

Faramir chuckled. "I don't intend to die today, brother," he replied, but his eyes were tight. 

"Father is dead, Boromir."

Boromir's joy was immediately extinguished. "How?"

Faramir hesitated, looking between him and Anneth, who led Boromir to a chair and held his hand in hers.

"Father- Father went mad, Boromir," Faramir began, sinking into the other chair. "I pulled my men out of Osgiliath because the orcs were too many, but Father ordered me to retake it. It was suicide," he said quietly, and Anneth laid a hand on his shoulder.

"I was the only one to survive, and even then I was close to death. Father thought I was dead, and he ordered for a funeral pyre. For both of us. I suppose he finally gave into his despair. Gandalf and Pippin, the hobbit, saved me."

"And Father?" Boromir asked hesitantly, as if he didn't really want to hear it.

"Father threw himself off the citadel," Faramir said, and Anneth felt Boromir's trip on her hand tighten.

"I should have been here," he began, but Faramir shook his head.

"Nay, brother, I do not think you could have saved him. Not even the news that you lived roused him from his sulking. You were where you needed to be," he said warmly, placing his good hand on Boromir's shoulder. "Now, what's this Anneth tells me about the Dimholt road?"

Boromir looked between his brother and Anneth, eyes narrowing. "Oh, so now you two are going to be teaming up against me?"

Anneth smiled. "It's only because we love you, Boromir," she said, and his grumpiness instantly melted at her words.

Faramir laughed at his brother's expression. "Oh dear brother, you have finally been snared. Shall I start the wedding preparations?"

Anneth blushed as Boromir whacked his brother's good arm, and the three settled into an easy conversation.

As they talked, Anneth marveled at how relaxed it all felt, so different from the world just outside the door. She imagined this was how peacetime was supposed to feel; not that she'd ever known it. But as she sat there, Boromir's hand in hers, laughing with the two brothers, Anneth decided she very much liked the peace.