It Happens

THIS PART MAY BE TRIGGERING. BE WARNED

Simon

I am a coward. Baz was in danger and I just left him! How could I? And was I really so stupid to let Nicodemus in? I remove myself from Baz's arms and go to the bathroom. I hate myself I hate myself I hate myself I hate myself.

Baz

Simon isn't in bed when I wake up. I hear crying coming from the bathroom. I cautiously approach the closed door.

"Simon? Are you there?" I ask softly.

A pause, then Simon says, "I'm fine, Baz."

"No, you aren't. You're crying."

"I... I'm really okay. I just need a few minutes," Simon says after a few moments of silence.

Bunce appears, looking worried. She has a small vial in one hand and a glass of water in the other. I nod at her and she combines the two.

"Simon, come out. I got you some water," Bunce says.

The bathroom door opens and the scent of blood overpowers me. I grimace, and Simon looks at me guiltily. He gently takes the water from Bunce.

"Si, I love you," I say, needing to tell him one more time.

He chugs the water without replying before collapsing.

"He's bleeding. Help him. I can't be here," I choke out, trying not to breathe through my nose. Then I'm out the door.

Penelope

I use magic to lift Simon and place him on the bed. I watch his sleeping form, then notice the blood on his hands. I roll up his sleeves to see the cuts. Some are old, but there are a few that are fresh.

"Oh, Simon. I had no idea," I mutter to myself.

I quickly get to work, cleaning and bandaging his arms. Then I wait for Simon to wake up and for Baz to return. About an hour later, neither has happened yet.

Suddenly, Simon coughs, causing me to jump.

"Simon!" I cry.

"'Ello... Who are you? I don't remember... anything.... I don't even remember who I am," Simon says, blinking at me.

"Oh no!" I fake surprise. "You... you don't remember me?"

"Should I?"

Real tears fill my eyes. "Well, I'm Penelope Bunce. I'm your best friend."

Simon

The pretty, fuschia-haired girl looks sad, but not confused. She is keeping herself together, even though it looks hard for her.

"So you're my best friend. Who am I?" I ask.

"Your name is Simon. Simon Snow. We went to school together. This is the flat we share."

A door opens in the next room.

"Bunce?" a voice calls.

"That would be Baz. I'll be right back," Penelope says, and with a last concerned glance at me, she leaves.

Murmurs drift in from the hallway, but I'm too lost in my own thoughts to listen. A tall, handsome, incredibly posh boy walks in. I feel intimidated, yet comforted by his presence.

"Penny says you lost your memory," the boy says with a raised eyebrow. "I'm your... friend, Baz."

"Are you two dating?" I ask.

"NO!" they both yell, giving each other grossed-out looks.

"Honestly, we only hang out because of you. You are our mutual friend." Baz explains.

"We're really friends? You seem too... posh to be friends with me," I joke.

He smiles sadly. "Yes, we're friends."