V- Candlelight

Percy

That morning I awoke to the sounds of things being moved around outside. I sat up and looked around, stretching my arms. I slung my legs over the side of my cot, and walked out of my room. When I walked out of the cave, I saw Calypso with several bags and crates of supplies.

"What's that?" I asked.

Calypso looked up. "It's some supplies for your journey."

"Journey?" I asked.

"You're leaving today or tomorrow, right?" Calypso asked.

I leaned against the cave wall. "Wait... do you want me to?"

Calypso stared at me for a moment. "I don't know." She said quietly before looking down.

"I just... I'm still not feeling too well," I lied.

Calypso looked down. "I..."

The waves lapped gently, and her hair blew in the breeze almost perfectly. "You might can stay for another day," Calypso said. "But you need to leave and get back to your friends after that."

"Friends?" I asked. "I have nobody, nothing, no home to return to. I have a clean slate. As much as I like it... I lack companionship."

Calypso snorted. "Yeah, now you know how my entire life has been. And you're one of the ones who has abandoned me. Tell me, Percy. Are you taking advantage of my fatal flaw, loyalty?" She demanded.

"I-"

"Don't." She warned. "I should have made you leave as soon as you washed up on these cursed sands. You have no place here anymore, Percy Jackson. Not after you hurt me like-" she stopped, and looked down.

"It... I'm sorry, Calypso. I just... I had duties to return to." I said.

"I suppose it isn't your fault," Calypso said. "No, it's my fault. For ever giving you a chance in the first place. I should've known how cruel those fates would be." She marched back into the cave.

That day, I explored the island. I walked footpaths and found streams and plants. The woods were beautiful because they were enchanted, and seemed to grow perfectly.

I sat down on the banks of the stream, and put my feet in the crystal clear water. I don't know how long I was there. I talked to myself, to the water, to the plants and birds. The birds would land right on my hand. I suppose being here with Calypso for 3,000 years has taught them not to fear humans.

"Percy," called a voice. I looked over to see Calypso. "Supper is ready." She said bitterly. She then turned and walked away, her white Greek style dress flowing behind her.

I got up and followed her at a safe distance, studying how she walked through the woods. She was barefoot, and walked in complete and utter graceful silence. I made it to the beach, and sat down at the table, where magic food was delivered to me.

"I'm sorry about earlier," I said.

"It's fine," Calypso said, brushing a strand of hair out of her face. I could tell it wasn't fine, but I decided not to press her. "You missed lunch."

"I was with the birds," I said. "And that dog."

"Dog?" Calypso asked.

"I named him Blue," I said.

"I've never seen a dog here..." Calypso said.

"Oh." I said.

"I think new animals come every time new people come," Calypso said. "To accommodate their needs."

"Will he leave when I leave?" I asked.

Calypso looked up at me, but I couldn't read her expression. Sad, angry, happy, I couldn't tell. She paused, and then looked down. "I don't know. Nobody's ever stayed this long."

I looked down at my food. Another silence overtook us. "Do you wanna meet the dog?"

Calypso laughed suddenly. "You're so random."

"Random?" I asked.

"It's so innocent," Calypso laughed. Her eyes were bright again, and her smile was wide. For a moment, I thought she looked absolutely beautiful, and then I shook the thought. I swore to myself I'd never feel again for anybody. "Percy Jackson," Calypso said. "You always know what to say, don't you?"

I looked at her confused. "No, not at all." She laughed again. "I'm not at all a ladies man, I'm a loser."

Calypso stared at me, smiling still. "I'd beg to differ. Yes, show me this dog."

The sun was still high in the sky when we left to go in the woods. We laughed the entire way, and talked about anything and everything. It came so easily to us. I showed her Blue, and she petted him and laughed. "I never much liked dogs, but I like this one."

Blue nuzzled her. We sat on the banks of the stream. The sun was beginning to set. As Calypso petted Blue, she rested her head on my shoulder.

And I couldn't help but smile.