XI- To Wait

Calypso

I sat on the beach staring at the horizon. The sun was high in the sky, and the water glinted back. I noticed the tides were different now that Percy was gone. They were less lively, and now were back to how they were before.

A tear traced my cheek.

The fates were so damn cruel.

The fact that they send me him, they send me him for a long while, they let me get used to him, they let me fall into a deep love with him, but right before we get to where we want, they take him...

What if he doesn't return?

What if something happens...

What if he chooses to stay at his camp?

What if he chooses Annabeth...?

The thought rang in my ears.

Annabeth.

Up until now, I'd never really thought about Percy going back to her, but now, as vivid as ever, I could see it in my mind, and it made me want to crumble.

Percy will keep his promise.

But still, the fact that she'll be there with him, the one who hurt him so...

And the fact she still loves him...

No.

I hadn't even gotten the chance to tell Percy how I felt. How I had fallen in love, how I could never get enough, how I wanted to spend forever with him...

Annabeth and he had at once wanted the same for the two of them.

And it ate away at me.

With a simple idea, I began walking quickly into my cave.

Magic.

I could peer, for only a moment, into the present...

••••

It took a lot of concentrating, but I finally manipulated the magic enough to let me see the present.

I saw Percy on Mount Olympus in the gardens walking with Hermes. Suddenly, he was surrounded by people. They ran up to him, crying tears of joy. They tackled him and doggy piled on top of him and hugged him to death. They all smiled and laughed and looked so grateful.

"We were so worried!"

"Percy, don't ever do this again!"

"What were you thinking?!"

"We've been searching constantly!"

"It's okay guys, relax. I'm okay."

"Where have you been??!!"

"Everybody went nuts once you left!"

"Percy you had us scared to death."

"Your father fell into a depression."

"Nobody has even dared to rest."

"Even Camp Jupiter has been helping."

"Yeah, the Romans, imagine that."

"Percy I just missed you so much."

"Guys, relax. It's just me. Just Percy."

And in that moment, when Percy smiled so warmly at them, it hit me.

He was so happy...

And he didn't belong with me.

Immortality wasn't the life for him...

He needed to be with them.

He needed to be happy.

His happiness just radiated off him in those moments went they were together.

His eyes had such a bright glow.

His smile was so bright, so warm, so big.

It was almost as if it was alright with him.

As if he'd been waiting to see them forever, and he finally did, and he could relax.

His laugh.

His smile as he rolled his eyes at them.

How casual he was as he shoved them off of him, as if they were old best friends.

And.. I guess they were.

They all loved each other like brothers and sisters.

He was a hero.

I was selfish for ever wanting him to give up his joys and his past life to live on a deserted island with me. How could I ask somebody like him to do that for somebody like me?

I slashed through the image I'd created, and sobbed, collapsing on the floor.

The fates were so cruel.