Chapter 1: The Surprise of My Life

Exactly seven years later

Sitting out on your surfboard in the wake of the morning is the perfect way to relax and enjoy the rising sun as it paints the sky. But sadly, all good things end at some point, and for me, that was my board getting flipped.
I came up sputtering for air, only to see Cameron about to fall off his board from laughing too much.

"Gee thanks," I said, climbing back onto my board, and then flipped his over. He came up coughing up a whole bunch of water since I tipped him in the middle of a laughing fit, but it was hilarious. Soon we were both cracking up.

"So, what's up?" he asked, looking at me with a serious expression, and he doesn't wear them very often.

"Well, I haven't talked to you in six hours, so I have only traveled the world twice, saved a baby seal from drowning in a fishing net, and got one hour of sleep, so you know, nothing much."

"Bri, I'm being serious," came Cameron's reply.

"What, do you-"

"Briana."

I sighed. I knew this was going to come up today, and I was trying to avoid it as much as possible. I tend to not show my feeling very much. I feel it's better to always keep up a happy attitude, even if it is sometimes fake instead of going along in life while the sad days bring you down. That's how I roll, but Cameron is my best friend, and with him, I don't hide anything if he asks.

"Well you know, it's hard," I said looking off at the sun again. "Miranda was almost my sister we were so close. With it being seven years since she's been gone and still no clues to where she went, it looks to me like she's never going to be found."

"Hey," Cameron said, bringing my attention back to him. "She will be found, I know it. We just have to be patient, and I know that's hard but that's why I'm here, to take your mind off of things." With that, he made a goofy face which caused me to laugh.

"Yeah you're right," I said.

"Of course I am. Unlike that dumb Asher guy you're dating, I happen to be smart."

"Cameron..." I warned.

"Oh, and speak of the devil," he said and pointed behind me. I turned to see Asher, I call him Ash, paddling towards us.

I turn back to Cameron. "Be nice please," I told him.

"No promises," he said back. "I just go with the flow."

"Hey babe," Ash said as he paddled up, and planted a kiss on my lips.

"Hey babe," Cameron mimicked, using his hands like a puppet, but quiet enough so that I could only hear him. I shot him a glare, and he rolled his eyes.

"Hey Ash, you're up early," I said.

"Yeah I saw you out on the water and thought I would come join you," he replied.

"Really?" I asked. Asher had never done something sweet like that before. It was very surprising, and I'm not sure if it was a good surprise yet.

"Nah," he said. Well, that seems more like him. "I got the Blue Surf Championship coming up and need to practice. Catch you later baby," and with that, he paddled off to catch a wave.

"You got yourself a real keeper Bri," Cameron said with a smirk.

"Shut up."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So that is why x= 10 when 6x - 35= 5 + 2x..." my math teachers droned on and on about the math lesson she was teaching us. It was soooo boring. I turn my gaze to the window in the classroom to stare at the ocean. In only 3 minutes-