Chapter 9: I Make Another Bad Pun (and Beat Up Some Bad Guys)

(Back to Bri's POV)

There were police everywhere; in the air, on the ground, and even one behind us since we have now found out Pax's dad is not a surgeon. It would seem impossible for us to get out of this out of this mess but wait. I have a plan.

Just kidding, my mind was like a squirrel on a highway.

"Come forward with your hands up!" one of the police officers yelled. Pax's father walked up to me and placed a cool, metal circle to my neck.

"You better do what he says or the girl gets it," he warned his son. Oh, the metal circle was his pistol.

As we inched forward, and plan slowly came to my mind. It was crazy, unpredictable, and had a 75% chance of not working, but I was going to try it anyway.

"Hey Pax," I whispered, not turning my head to look at him, otherwise it would give us away.

"We're doing a lot of whispering today," he commented.

"Shut up and focus. I have a plan, but you're going to need to distract them by asking some questions, some pretty dumb ones. After about five, say something really, really stupid. Something so stupid it could possibly make them put down their weapons for a second."

"Great, that sounds like a way better plan than mine. Let's do it." Oh jeez, I wish he didn't put so much faith in me.

"Hey, no whispering," Pax's dad said, shoving the pistol hard against my neck. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Pax narrow his eyes.

We stopped right in front of the head policeman, him taking a good look at us. I was surprised he was the head police. He was pretty short, my guess would be he was 4'11'', so I had to look down at him. He was a pudgy little man, and he had a soft face, even though he wore a frown, which only made him look like Grumpy Cat. He wouldn't be who you would associate with head man. He's more of your Italian grandfather. "Well, well, well," he said. "You know, I would have never thought that by escaping our grasps at the prison you would end up in your own guards home, Ms. Winter. You must be pretty lucky."

"Yeah, soooo lucky," I said, my voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Oh, and allow me to introduce myself to your boyfriend. I am Mark, head of your North Carolina police force."

"Wait, you're Mark?" I asked in disbelief. "No way."

"Yes way, you better believe it, kid," he said with some spunk, crossing his arms and putting on a smirk. Italian grandpa in the house y'all!

"So have a question," he said to Mark. "Why are you in charge of the North Carolina police force?"

I mentally facepalmed myself. Does he want to get us killed on the spot? That has to be the dumbest question he could have asked, which in his defense, I did tell him to ask.

"Excuse me?" Mark replied, narrowing his eyes and changing his expression back to a frown. Now we are back to Grumpy Cat.

"Sorry, that came out wrong," Pax said. "Let me start over. What I meant was, why are you head of the police force when you could be head of the FBI? I mean, you honestly have the classifications; you found us after all."

"Ah, you right," Mark said, shifting from a Grumpy  Cat back into your Italian grandpa, thinking about what Pax said. Whew, way to recover.

"Well, you see, the president is in charge of the FBI, but with the police force, if the man in charge, no one else cares what you do, so you are your own boss. What can I saw? I like being in charge."

"Uh huh," Pax continued. "So why do you like being in charge?"

"Oh, I don't know, so I don't have to do things I don't like, I guess."

"So why do you not like to do things you don't like to do?" Pax questioned. Oh boy, it's one of those types of questions.

"Because I don't like to do them? Why else would I not want to do them?"

"Well I know you don't like to do them," Pax said. "But why?"

"Alright," Mark said, throwing his hands in the air, a signal of him giving up. "This kid is getting annoying, get them both handcuffed and put in the car. Carl, make sure to keep the pistol trained on the girl just in case she tries to burn one of our men. Consider this your second chance."

"Yes, sir," Pax's father replied, and the men started coming forward.

"Wait!" Pax shouted, and all the men froze. "Before you do that, I would like to inform you all that you gave me such a scare when I came out my front door that I, um, peed my pants a little." Well, I did not know he was going to say that.

All the guards dropped their guard for a second (haha, see what I did there), and the second was all I needed. A soon as Carl/Mr. Scott broke his concentration and took the pistol off of my neck, I whirled around and gave him a nice third-degree burn on both of his wrists, that way he would be unable to shoot a gun. I rammed myself into Pax so it would knock us both over, allowing the police who gathered themselves first would not have a good shot at the two of us. As I did this, I turned my gaze to the sky where the helicopters were, shooting them all out of the sky before they could shoot down on us. That was the risky part of my plan because I didn't know where the helicopters would land. Luckily, three landed in the woods, one landed on one of the police cars, the farthest one form us, and one landed on Pax's house. I hope that wasn't too bad for him, but I don't think he was planning on returning anyways. Honestly, I didn't even know I could do that and was just hoping for the best. Last but not least, as the guards were recovering their wits, I put a firewall between us, that way they would be making wild shots, and the bullets would melt in the heat of the fire.

"Come on Pax!" I screamed at him, as there was a lot of noise and it was hard to be heard. "We have to go!" I grabbed his hand as he stumbled to his feet, and we raced along to the edge where we could, hopefully, hop into a police car, which was the next part of my plan, but the cops were smarter than I thought. They came around the edge of the fire, charging towards us, their guns already firing.

"I got my dad's pistol!" Pax yelled. "You do your fireball thing again!"

"Alright!" I yelled back. "But shoot to injure, not to kill!"

"Got it!" And we started shooting at the guards, taking them out one by one. I was mainly shooting at the legs to cause them to trip and fall, and burn them so badly they wouldn't be able to get back up. Pax was going for the shoulders so they wouldn't be able to shoot at us again. We quickly got through all the guards working together, and we made our way around the firewall and into one of the police cars. There were more guards on the other side, and we made it into the car just in time as their shots hit the sides and the windows. Luckily the car was bulletproof so it didn't affect us.

"Drive, drive, drive," I screamed as the guards came running towards us. Pax put the car in reverse very quickly, speeding us onto the road, turning onto the road and driving away. As he did this, I rolled down my window and shot fireballs at the remaining police cars so that they would have no chance at following us.

We sped away, turning on the lights on top to get people out of our faster. Once we had been driving for about an hour, Pax let out a big whoop.

"YEAH BABY WE'RE ALIVE!" he bellowed at the top of his lungs.

"WE'RE ALIVE AND FREEEEEE!" I bellowed with him, and we both cracked up.

"So, where to?" Pax asked once we had calmed down.

"Well," I said. "I was thinking we could go to my house now."

"Yeah, baby, let's go!l" he yelled.

"Yeah!" I shouted. "Home sweet home!"