13. I Kissed a Boy and I Liked It

La Mort et ses Merveilles

Chapter 13: I Kissed a Boy and I Liked It

Cass and I sat there by her camper, on the foldable chairs right on her lawn. The girls were busy to the side, fashioning flower crowns out of yellow black-eyed susans. Cass and I had helped them cut the wire and bent it in shape for them, while they gathered the flowers themselves. They didn't have to stray far from the caravan, there were patches of flowers growing throughout the Yard, especially near the walls.

Leslie didn't show up for breakfast, but I didn't really care too much for it. He must probably still be angry about yesterday. Besides, I also wanted some time off from him. He left me feeling so confused, and I needed some time alone to figure it all out. I don't know what to feel about him. Sure, he's nice, and he can be annoying at times, but why on earth did my heart race when he touched me? I couldn't possibly like him or anything, that was impossible. Yet I couldn't stop thinking about his cold eyes and the warmth of his touch.

When I told Josephine about what happened the previous day, she was shocked.

"I can't believe he would do something like that," she said. "But I should've known."

The young woman seemed rather worried, but I guessed it was regarding Rosanne's threat to Leslie. To be honest, I would've, she just seemed so collected and calculative. She seemed to know everything that she was doing. I supposed she was the type to meticulously plan her revenge. If Leslie could've just kept his trash mouth shut then maybe we wouldn't be in this situation. Josephine had left Isabella in my care, while she went to 'settle some issues'. Not knowing what else to do, I brought her to Cass's place.

Halfway through their meticulously procedure, it seemed like they probably didn't have enough flowers. Ashley asked her sister if they could go get some more.

"Just don't get yourselves hurt, alright?" she said aloud, but the girls had already run off.

Cass merely sighed as she leaned back into her chair. It was nice that I got to talk with Cass again. It had already been a few visits to the Yard with Isabella since the last time we met, and I settled down pretty cosily to her. Besides, there wasn't really anybody else of my age around here. I was just glad to have a friend I knew and trusted.

"I just can't keep up with her sometimes," she laughed as she picked up her glass. "Ashley just has so much energy."

"It's infectious, really," I chuckled. "It's nice to see that Isabella's happy again."

"Yeah," the girl said, turning to me. "She deserves to be happy. And you too."

I could only give her a slight, awkward smile.

"Thanks," I muttered, fidgeting with my fingers.

"You know," she said, looking directly at me. "You seem so troubled recently. Is there anything wrong?"

"Nothing," I muttered.

But of course there was. I didn't know how to feel about the whole Leslie situation. Sure, even in the deepest depths of my heart I couldn't deny that I didn't exactly dislike what he was doing. Maybe I even liked it. I didn't know. Yet another part of me was adamant to admit it, I had only been with girls before, back in high school, so I wasn't sure if it was even possible. I liked girls, I knew that. Me having feelings for Leslie? What a joke.

Yet I couldn't deny that he made me feel a certain way. But no way, I liked girls.

"Do you want to come inside?" Cass said, stretching as she stood up. "It's getting a bit too hot, don't you think?"