32. Now More than Ever

La Mort et ses Merveilles

Chapter 32: Now More than Ever

I sat there on the edge of Leslie's bed, my legs still trembling as I wiped away my tears. I still couldn't believe my ears. My heart thumping in my chest, my right hand clung onto my collar, clenching it tightly. Leslie had wrapped me in his heavy denim jacket, before he left me there to talk with Clara outside.

For the first time in months, I felt genuine fear. I was scared what could happen to me, but most importantly I was afraid to think of what'd happen to Isabella.

I was sure it wasn't more than just a few minutes, but me in that room with nothing but my fear and with only Leslie's jacket to hold me felt like forever. The door soon opened and Leslie and Clara soon appeared before me. Clara, who had been rather confused and serious earlier had a warm smile on her lips. The two of them sat on either side of me: Leslie on my right, and Clara on my left. I felt my left palm clasped between the young woman's hands.

"Leslie told me everything," she said, her tone soothing. "I just wanted to tell you that you did the right thing. It's about time someone did. And I'm extremely proud of you for being so brave."

"I-I just put us in danger," I muttered. "I didn't think it through."

"You saved that poor girl's life, Jason," she continued. "Think about what'd happen if you hadn't done what you did. Don't you ever doubt that decision."

"But now Bradley's going to come after me," I said, shaking my head. "I'm afraid of what he'd do to me."

"I'm going to make sure nothing happens to you," Leslie said, wrapping his arm over my shoulder. "If he dares lay a hand on you, he's going to regret it."

"Aren't you scared of him too?" I asked, never intending it to sound like an affront, but out of genuine curiosity.

Or perhaps I was just too shaky for filters. Either way Leslie seemed a bit stunned by my words, and for a brief moment I could sense his hesitation as he bit down into his quivering lip.

"I'll do what I have to do," he said. "I won't let anyone hurt you."

He leaned in closer to me, before I felt his warm lips against my cheek, the rough hairs of his moustache rubbing against my cheek. It would've been a normal peck, a sweet kiss, if it hadn't been for Clara seated right beside me. I immediately felt my heart jump in my throat. Leslie probably realised what he had just done as well, and I watched as he pulled away, his blue eyes wide in shock and his lips pursed.

The young woman beside me only giggled in response.

"I kind of had a feeling about you two," she said, two fingers placed gently on her lips. "I mean, from the way Leslie looks at you."

I chuckled nervously as I turned to look at my boyfriend. His pale cheeks were flushed as he tried to avert his gaze.

"You finally smiled," he finally said, a grin on his thin lips when he finally recovered.

I held on the smile for a few seconds longer, before letting my lips relax again. I had certainly calmed down, but we still had to weigh our options.

"So," I said, turning to look at Clara. "What's the plan now?"

"I got your sister to pack her things," she said. "We're leaving as soon as we can, so pack your things and say your goodbyes to anyone before we go. I know you're friends with Cass and her sister, maybe you should take Bells there for a visit."