30. J'taime pour Toujours

La Mort et ses Merveilles

Chapter 30: J'taime pour Toujours

"We're here," Leslie announced, as we pulled up at the farmhouse down the winding road. "This is it, right?"

"Yeah," I told him. "That's the house."

"The gate looks locked," he remarked. "You sure there's nobody living here?"

"I'm the one who locked it before we left," I told him. "It's just the way I left it."

"Looks like a nice place," Leslie said.

"And if it's just the way I left it," I continued. "There'd be some food in the pantry. I did leave some of it there. There was too much to carry."

"Guess you and Bells hit the jackpot then," he chuckled. "Maybe you two should've stayed."

"Well, we sure would've," I said as we got out of the truck. "If it wasn't for that nasty rabid fox bite."

"Oh yes," Leslie said, as if he just remembered. "That lovely fox bite that brought you right into my arms."

"Arms that tried to smother me to death," I remarked snarkily. "How romantic."

There was an awkward silence as I unlocked the gate.

"Oh yeah," the young man said sheepishly, scratching the back of his head. "Sorry. . . About that. I-I'll make it up to you! Just tell me what to do."

"You already have," I said. "You didn't have to bring me to my dad's grave in the first place. And you certainly didn't have to say all those nice things."

The young man turned red.

"I-I really meant what I said," he stuttered. "It wasn't for show or anything."

"I know big boy," I chuckled. "I know. And I really appreciate it. You can be really sweet even when you don't mean to."

"Thanks," he muttered. "I guess"

Leslie got into his truck and drove inside, while I waited by the gate. Once he was safe inside, I shut it and latched it shut.

"You know," the young man said as he got off his truck. "We should try and see if there's any zombies around. I know you said you already cleared it before, but it's better to be safe than sorry."

"Right," I replied. "I'll go check the left side, and you go check out the right."

"Uh-uh," he shook his head. "No can do. You're sticking with me."

With that, he reached out for my hand before dragging me along. I had no choice but to follow him along as he patrolled the perimeter.

"I'm not a child you know?" I protested as his grip on my hand tightened. "Let me go, c'mon!"

"Right, you're not a child," Leslie said. "You're my baby."

I only rolled my eyes.

"Oh my gosh," I replied. "You're so cheesy."