15. Clara and Clyde

La Mort et ses Merveilles

Chapter 15: Clara and Clyde

I awoke to Leslie nudging me in my shoulder. Blinking my eyes open, I realised that the truck had stopped. How long was I asleep? Slightly confused and disoriented at first, the aching in my chest soon returned.

Could it all just have been a dream? That maybe it was just a nightmare? I wanted to believe that, I really did, but the stickiness of my cheeks and the sour taste in my mouth told me otherwise.

"You were asleep the whole while," Leslie said, fidgeting with his fingers. "Ever since we left the convent."

I rolled my eyes and shot him a glare.

"How stupid do I look?" I snapped.

The young man only looked away. We both know full well what he did. I may have cried myself to sleep but that didn't mean I still wasn't hurting. A heavy dreadful feeling settled in my chest, and I didn't feel like moving at all. I was just too sad and tired.

"We're at Clara's place," he announced, even though no one asked.

Through the windows I could see a few of the dead approaching us, staggering and stumbling, rotting flesh falling off their bones. Grabbing my trusty hammer in one hand, I opened the door and hopped out of the truck.

"W-wait," Leslie cried out, but I ignored him.

Walking up to one of the approaching zombies, I could feel the adrenaline pumping in my veins. It has really been a while since I saw one of those, and to be honest right there and then, even a zombie's company was much more preferable to the man with the emotional maturity of a six-year-old I was stuck with. At least the dead don't spew hurtful nonsense from their mouths. I bashed at the zombies' skulls one by one hearing them crack as metal hit against bone.

I was down on my third when one of them managed to sneak up from behind me. I could hear its breath seething out of its rotten nostrils as a rotten arm grabbed my shoulder. My heart thumping in my chest, I spun around and tried to duck the dead thing's attempt to try and land a bite, but the next thing I knew it fell dead on the ground. I found myself standing face to face with Leslie, bloodied machete in his right hand, the blade stained red and black from the head wound it just inflicted.

He looked at me with his blue eyes, a worried expression etched on his face.

"You shouldn't be so reckless!" he chided me as he put his machete away.

Regaining my composure, I let out a deep sigh and folded my arms.

"You should try listening to your own advice, don't you think?" I shot back as I clenched my grip around the handle of my hammer.

The young man's face curled up into a frown, before letting out a deep sigh.

"Look, I'm sorry," he began. "It was a mistake."

I noticed that his bottom lip was quivering ever so slightly, before putting an end to it by resting his front teeth on it. Seeing him like that only made me seethe in anger.

"How could you lie to me?" I blurted out, letting the anger and sadness flow through my veins. "I thought we were special, I thought I meant something to you. You lied to me and told me that I was the first and only person to make you feel this way, and I being the fool that I am, wanted to feel like I actually meant something to you."