15

"Step on a nigga right now, I'll hit a nigga with the K

"Step on a nigga right now, I'll hit a nigga with the K."

A couple of days after the funeral, Kentrell sat on his bed, his plan ready for execution. He had eyes on the boy's house—he was home and supposed to be home the entire day. Kentrell had music blasting through the house, hyping him up as he loaded his AK 47. He aimed the gun at his wall and made fake gun shot noises as he clutched the gun.

He laid the gun on his bed and went into his drawer. He pulled out a ski mask and rolled it up, sitting it on his head kind of like a skull cap. He grabbed a black and mild, putting it between his lips as he grabbed the gun and put the strap on, letting it hang on his back. He cut the music off, deciding that it was a go.

At the same time, Yvette was walking up the driveway. She wanted to surprise Kentrell with a white lace lingerie set she bought. Right before she went to knock, Kentrell opened the door. He could have sworn his heart was going to fall out of his chest.

"Bae?" His eyes got wide. "What are you doing here?"

"Surprise? Can I come in?"

"Baby, I was just heading out." Yvette raised her eyebrow, noticing him fidget. She ain't ever seen that nigga any type of nervous.

"Oh? Can I come?"

"No! I mean—nawl, it's gone be a bunch of niggas—yeen gone like it. You wanna sit in here until I get back, though?" She nodded slowly. "Aight, it ain't gone take long. I love you." He kisses her cheek and slipped past her as the gun hit the doorframe.

"Uhm, I'll see you in a minute?" When the door shut, Kentrell hurried to another steamer he hid around the house. He also didn't know that Yvette peeked out of the window and saw the big ass gun on his back. When she saw the car speed off, she ran out and across the street to some lady that came out right after he left.

"Hey, excuse me? Can I borrow your car?" The lady scrunched her face up, making Yvette suck her teeth.

"Fifty dollars and a full tank?" The lady perked up and slapped the keys in her hand. She was glad, she didn't want Kentrell to catch her following him.

"Shid, ill just go later." Yvette smiled, digging in her pocket for the $50 she had, thanking the lady. When she got in the car, she logged into find my iPhone and followed Kentrell's location. He left his phone on her app ever since he lost it when he was high. It was in a kitchen cabinet.

She followed the map and it lead her to a crowded street, as well as the car she saw him in. It was empty. She gulped as she saw somebody running from up the street. She got out of the car and ran up the street.

Meanwhile, Kentrell has blown the boy's big brother down, running up the steps to find him. He busted through the whole small house to find him hiding in the bathroom. With no hesitation, he beat the boy in the face with a can of bathroom cleaner he saw. Tossing the can aside, he stood over him.

"You took away one of the only people I eva loved." Kentrell snarled as the boy trembled, begging for his life. "I hope yo ass burn in hell." The boy stopped begging, realizing the begging wasn't going to work.

"I'll tell yo brother you said save you a seat." Of course, this lit Kentrell on fire, making him shoot the boy so many times. Overkill.

Outside, Yvette squealed, her heart beating fast as she felt stuck. He made his way out of the house, seeing Yvette there.

"Vette, What the fu—" He was cut off when .44 magnum pierced his skull.

"KENTRELL!" She screamed as he fell forward and she tried to lower him down. Tears rolled down her face and all she could chant was 'no. No.' The old man that shot him shook with fear as Yvette studied his face. He ran inside to call an ambulance.

"I love you." He mumbled. His gaze was on the sky for a moment, as if he searched for the face of God in the clouds.

"I love you too, baby. I love you, please don't leave me!" He gripped her hand back before he went limp in her arms.

Yvette's blood ran cold as she heard sirens in the distance. Deciding she could be here, she laid his body down and ran up the street. The only man she ever loved laid dead on the cracked concrete.

She didn't know what to do then, the rage filled her like fire. Why had he been so stupid? Why couldn't they just be a normal couple.

She sped down the road, trying to sort out her thoughts. But she never could, she never would.

Nobody knew what happened to that old man after that cloudy Thursday. All they know is that the old man that pulled the trigger went missing—but his body was at the bottom of a lake somewhere.

Nobody knew what happed to Yvette after that day—what clicked. All they know is she wished her family goodbye—but she was in Jamaica on vacation, needing to see something other than the slabs of concrete that looked like Kentrell's final resting place.

All the people around her knew was that she was eating her way through depression, they didn't know she was gonna be a teen mom to a fatherless child.

But she would get through it, just as everything else.

Alone.

Quietly.

Standing strong.

She had become Kentrell's peace in a short time, even when taking his last breath he was peaceful seeing her and knowing the boy that he wanted dead was indeed cold.

Now, whatever was growing inside of her would be her much needed peace, and she would protect them forever.

And it would be worth it.
***

The end