~4~

Chapter Four: Zombie

Awakening to the sound of hacked vomiting echoing from the bathroom wasn't the sweetest way to start a new day, but it also wasn't as uncommon as Michael wished it was.

He groaned, rolling onto his back and rubbing his eyes to try and wake himself up faster. A cry of woeful regret burst through the house, followed by the useless sounds of birds chirping outside, and Michael forced himself to sit up.

He pushed his blanket off, reaching forward and grabbing his phone to see if Ashton had contacted him. When no notifications popped up, he stood to his feet, stuffed the cheap mobile into his pocket, and opened the lounge room window.

He wandered into the kitchen, opening the curtains before switching on his stainless steel electric kettle and quickly ducking through to the conjoined laundry that led to a door to the backyard.

Turning on the washing machine, he set it to a cold wash and returned to the kitchen in time to spoon instant coffee into his faded red cup and a random white mug as the kettle came to a boil.

He poured both coffees to the same common consistency, switching the kettle off and grabbing the milk from the fridge. His mind was quiet, seamlessly blocking out the disgusting sounds of a sick man hungover. It was a calm blue ocean, a gaze across the far horizon as the sun began to rise from the darkness; casting a beautiful clear reflection over the soft waves.

He sat at his kitchen table, getting up only twice; one to change wash cycles on his machine and the other to place Calum's clothes into the dryer.
Sitting back down, he took his phone out and dialled Ashton's number; praying that the man was still alive enough to answer his call.

On the second ring his heart rate picked up, on the third it began to break, on the fourth his ocean began to sway until finally there was an answer on the fifth.

"Mikey?" Ashton's voice was groggy with confusion.

"Hey, Ash. Is it alright if I visit later?"

"Um, yeah uh... Yes that'd be okay." Ashton anxiously replied. "How-um--How long will you be?"

Michael's voice instinctively softened, worry creasing the features of his face. "Do you need me now?"

"I-..." Ashton hesitated.

"Ashton, do you need me?"

"I-yes. Please, Mikey. I'm so scared right now-" Ashton confessed, breaking his weak pretend act of strength. "There's--There's bugs. B-Bugs everywhere, please help me. I-I..."

"It's okay." Michael reassured, standing up from the table and pushing his chair in. "I'm coming over right now, I'll be there soon."

"O-Okay, please-Please hurry. I-...I hate bugs, I hate them. I hate them-!"

"I know, bud. I know. I'll be there soon, please don't leave the house."

Ashton frantically ageed, pleading for Michael to hurry, before hanging up so Michael could make his way over.

Michael had his phone halfway in his pocket by the time Calum came stumbling with exhausted sickness into the kitchen.
The brunette frowned, seeing Michael standing up as though he were getting ready to go somewhere.

"You're leaving?"

"Yeah, I have to go." Michael pitied, not liking how he had to leave Calum on his own so soon. "Your clothes have been washed, they're in the dryer now. I did make you a coffee but it might be cold now."

He made his way to the brunette, getting ready to pass him. "Feel free to stay, I'm not sure when I'll be back though-"

"You're going to see Ashton again aren't you?" Calum solemnly interrupted.