Chapter 3; When you panic, stay strong.

"Can't we go out anywhere? I hate being stuck inside." I felt Jess tug at my clothing as I moved my glance from the window I was staring out of previously. I crouch down in front of her and run my hands over her soft, blond hair.

"You know you can't. We don't know this place very well and until we do, I can't risk taking you out there." I explained with a soft tone to my voice, only making Jessica huff in response.

"But we never stay anywhere long enough to see if it's okay." She argued with a dejected expression. "Maybe this place is different and we can stay." She looked up at me with her big brown, doe eyes and I felt my heart shatter. I hated seeing her down and I knew she hated moving around a lot, but unfortunately this was our life, at least until I could make sure Jess was definitely safe.

"Maybe, one day. I promise." I told her, placing a kiss on her forehead. She looked at me with a sad smile before running off into the other room to play. I sighed before standing back up and looking back out the window. I watched all of the people pass by, and from the outside it looked like a pretty normal town.

But it wasn't. Not with gangs like The Peaky Blinders running the streets. Myself and Thomas had had another conversation the other morning about where to pick me up for the race we were apparently going to. He argued he would pick me up at The Garrison during the day, and I argued that there was no way in hell that was happening. So, he's now picking me up at Lizzie's tomorrow morning. I claimed she was just a friend, and mentioned nothing about Jessica.

He also told me the real reason he invited me out; To impress a man by the name of Billy Kimber as Thomas wanted to do business with him and his racetracks. He didn't go into a lot of detail, but I could guess there would also be illegal activity going on behind the scenes.

I furrowed my eyebrows as I suddenly saw Grace appear on the street. Is she following someone? I then see a man, not far from her in the alleyway she was just about to walk into. I watch intently as the man stumbles a little, Grace cautiously behind him as to not be seen. I look for the man again but I can't see him. Grace walks further into the alleyway as I suddenly see the man grab her and hold her against the wall.

I immediately run to my kitchen and grab the small handgun I kept in the cabinet.

"Jess?!" I called, hiding the gun under my cardigan.

"Yeah?"

"Stay in your room, shut the door and don't come out until I tell you, okay?" My tone was stern as she nodded quickly and shut the door. I ran out of the house as quickly as possible, entering into the alley with my gun pointed. I hear grunting as I turn a corner and I see Grace struggling with the man. A gunshot soon echoes throughout the alleyway. I see the mans body fall limp as he slowly falls to the ground.

"Grace." She turned to me with a shocked expression on her face, looking between myself and the man. I lowered my weapon.

"I-it was an accident." She sounded genuinely panicked as I walked over to her and I noticed the gun she was hiding in her purse.

"Come on. We need to leave before anyone sees us." I take her arm and guide her out of the alley.

"Where are we going?" She asked as we crossed the street.

"My house." I told her. Entering through the front door and shutting it after her. I watched as she sat down on one of the seats in the living room. I stayed standing as she glanced up at me.

"You want to tell me what the fuck you were doing?" I asked, total bewilderment on my face. If I didn't think it before, her actions today confirmed my suspicions about her.